Electric shock via ground that becomes live.

In summary: If you are standing on dielectric material, like a rubber mat, this ground current will flow through your body and through any metal objects you are wearing (like a belt) to the ground, potentially shocking you. In fact, this is one of the hazards we warn our crews about when working near power lines - to avoid becoming electrically shocked, always stay at least three feet away from power lines and equipment.
rollingstein
Gold Member
Was reading a crane-operations manual and it had a Section on what to do if your boom accidentally contacted overhead electrical wires. It advised not trying to step out of the cab (of course); but in case of imminent danger advised jumping out (makes sense).

The interesting part came after this: It said to take tiny steps or hop on one leg to get away from the live equipment. Apparently the reasoning is the ground may have become live and a bigger step would be across a potential high enough to injure.

Does this strategy make sense? What's the typical potential contour and could a potential drop across a stride be so high to shock via two legs?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think they're afraid that if your two legs both touch the ground they will become a conductor so by having only one in contact that lessens the chance.

Many years ago I was the victim of live ground.

This was due to lightning and I was on a bicycle at the time, cycling past the aptly named Bay of Storms in Italy.

I can confirm you get a definite feeling in the legs.

dlgoff, A most interesting link, many thanks.

it's part of substation design to provide a ground mat sufficiently 'stout' that, should a fault occur, the voltage drop across the ground over the distance of a man's stride is small enough to not electrocute him.

There's no probably such ground mat under a crane out in the boondocks, so OP's surmisal seems correct..

Re studiot's bicycle - i was once swimming in a lake when lightning struck a couple miles away. Definitely felt the shock. Scared the daylights out of me.
I believe American Flamingoes stand on one leg for that reason. Florida Everglades is one of world's most active lightning zones.

oops - i see two posts appeared while i was typing...
nice find, dig...

old jim

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
I believe American Flamingoes stand on one leg for that reason. Florida Everglades is one of world's most active lightning zones.

Ha!That's a new one. I thought it was to do with their circulation / thermoregulation.

rollingstein said:
Ha!That's a new one. I thought it was to do with their circulation / thermoregulation.

Same goes for the Original Karate Kid in his famous finale standing on one leg ready for the shock of winning.

I agree with the others. I work for an electric utility and we have warnings about walking in wet ground around power lines. We have to wear dielectric boots if working in those conditions.

If there is a phase to ground fault on a power line (like a crane contacting a line) and you are standing in the ground return path to the substation, there is a risk of a ground potential rise between your legs. Whatever fault current is flowing through the crane travels through the ground back to the neutral of the substation transformer, so there can be considerable ground current flowing (hundreds or thousands of amps depending on the line).

Related to Electric shock via ground that becomes live.

1. What is an electric shock via ground that becomes live?

An electric shock via ground that becomes live occurs when a person or object comes into contact with an electrical source that is not properly grounded. This can result in an electric current passing through the body, causing harm or injury.

2. What causes an electric shock via ground that becomes live?

An electric shock via ground that becomes live is typically caused by faulty wiring or equipment, such as frayed cords or damaged outlets. It can also occur when using electrical devices near water or in wet conditions.

3. What are the symptoms of an electric shock via ground that becomes live?

The symptoms of an electric shock via ground that becomes live can vary depending on the severity of the shock. Common symptoms include tingling or numbness, muscle spasms, difficulty breathing, and in severe cases, cardiac arrest.

4. How can an electric shock via ground that becomes live be prevented?

To prevent an electric shock via ground that becomes live, it is important to always use electrical equipment and devices that are properly grounded and in good working condition. Avoid using electrical devices near water or in wet conditions, and make sure to follow safety guidelines when handling electricity.

5. What should I do if I experience an electric shock via ground that becomes live?

If you experience an electric shock via ground that becomes live, the first step is to remove yourself from the electrical source if possible. Seek medical attention immediately, even if you do not feel any symptoms, as some injuries may not be immediately apparent. It is also important to have a professional inspect the electrical source to prevent future incidents.