Electric Potential: Solve for Energy to Move -5uC Charge to Infinity

In summary: The potential at origin is kept constant because the two charges are fixed. So the energy potential is calculated as if the -5 μC charge is not there.In summary, the problem involves two fixed point charges and a third charge being moved from the origin to infinity. The solution involves calculating the potential at the origin due to the fixed charges and using that to find the energy required to move the third charge. The potential at the origin is kept constant, hence the energy potential is calculated as if the third charge is not present.
bob19841984

Homework Statement

A point charge of +8C is located at (-6,0)cm. A second point charge of -11C is located
at(-5,-12)cm. If a -5C charge were at the origin, how much energy is required to move it to in nity?

Homework Equations

V=KQ/R
U = -qV

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution. It is given as below... I just don't understand why!
http://a-s.clayton.edu/jdyer/physics/phys1112/phys1112S09/Quizzes/1112_Quiz2_solution.pdf"

If the origin now has a -5 micro C charge, why is the energy potential still calculated as if it was not there? I have been banging my head on this for a while, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bob19841984 said:
1. T

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution. It is given as below... I just don't understand why!
http://a-s.clayton.edu/jdyer/physics/phys1112/phys1112S09/Quizzes/1112_Quiz2_solution.pdf"

If the origin now has a -5 micro C charge, why is the energy potential still calculated as if it was not there? I have been banging my head on this for a while, any help would be greatly appreciated.

V1 and V2 are the potentials at origin due to two charges. -5 μC charge is taken from origin to infinity and the work done to do this is -q*ΔV.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would respond by saying that the solution provided is correct. The reason why the energy potential is still calculated as if the -5 micro C charge is not there is because it is assumed that the charge at the origin is infinitesimally small compared to the charges at (-6,0)cm and (-5,-12)cm. This means that the electric field created by the -5 micro C charge at the origin is negligible and can be ignored. Therefore, the potential energy for the -5 micro C charge at the origin is solely influenced by the electric field created by the +8 micro C charge at (-6,0)cm and the -11 micro C charge at (-5,-12)cm. I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion.

Related to Electric Potential: Solve for Energy to Move -5uC Charge to Infinity

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

How do you calculate electric potential?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the potential energy by the charge of the object. The formula is V = U/q, where V is electric potential, U is potential energy, and q is charge.

What is the unit for electric potential?

The unit for electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

What is the purpose of solving for energy to move a charge to infinity?

Solving for energy to move a charge to infinity allows us to determine the amount of work required to move a charge from one point to another in an electric field. It also helps us understand the strength of the electric field at a given point.

Can the electric potential at a point ever be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at a point can be negative. This means that the potential energy is decreasing as the charge moves closer to the point. It could also mean that the electric field is directed opposite to the direction of the charge's motion.