Electric Potential of two conductors

In summary, you can use Gauss's Law to find the potential difference from infinity to the surface of the sphere. By symmetry, the electric field is uniform over a gaussian sphere of radius r > c and can be expressed as E = q_enclosed/(4*pi*epsilon_0*r^2). Integrating this equation from infinity to the surface of the sphere, you can find the potential difference.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical conducting shell of inner radius b and outer radius c surrounds its concentric with a solid conducting sphere of radius a. The sphere carries a net charge -Q. The shell carries net +3Q. Find an expression for the potential difference from infinity to the surface of the sphere.
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3596/rabbitatesthekv2.th.jpg
Sorry it's a little cut off, but you get the idea.

Homework Equations

V = kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm not quite sure if I need to use calculus or Gauss's law or what. The best so far that I've been able to come up with is V1 = k(-Q)/a, V2 = k(3Q)/(c-b)

I know that if the inner sphere were not there, then the electric field would be zero inside the shell.
If I recall correctly from the last chapter I had, the outside surface of the shell will be charged at +2q and the inner surface of the shell will be at q

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jesuslovesu said:

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical conducting shell of inner radius b and outer radius c surrounds its concentric with a solid conducting sphere of radius a. The sphere carries a net charge -Q. The shell carries net +3Q. Find an expression for the potential difference from infinity to the surface of the sphere.
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3596/rabbitatesthekv2.th.jpg
Sorry it's a little cut off, but you get the idea.

Homework Equations

V = kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm not quite sure if I need to use calculus or Gauss's law or what. The best so far that I've been able to come up with is V1 = k(-Q)/a, V2 = k(3Q)/(c-b)

I know that if the inner sphere were not there, then the electric field would be zero inside the shell.
If I recall correctly from the last chapter I had, the outside surface of the shell will be charged at +2q and the inner surface of the shell will be at q

Use Gauss' Law. That will give you the field outside the outer sphere, which is a function of the net enclosed charge.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
To extend Andrew's suggestion, there is no potential difference between the outside of the shell and the inside of the shell. So just pick up the same game inside the shell. Compute the potential difference between the surface of the sphere and the inside of the shell and add it to the outside.

Will it be something like this:

Using Gauss's Law,

E=k2q/r^r for r>c. E=-dv/dr, integrating this from inf to r, and that's your potential?

chaoseverlasting said:
Will it be something like this:

Using Gauss's Law,

E=k2q/r^r for r>c. E=-dv/dr, integrating this from inf to r, and that's your potential?
Yes. Gauss' law will give you the enclosed charge:

[tex]\phi = \oint E\cdot dA = \frac{q_{encl}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

By symmetry, E is uniform over a gaussian sphere of radius r > c

[tex]\oint E\cdot dA = E4\pi r^2 = \frac{q_{encl}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{q_{encl}}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2}[/tex]

The potential (work per unit charge) is:

[tex]\int_\infty^c E\cdot dr[/tex]

Work out that integral to get the potential on the surface c

AM

Last edited:

Related to Electric Potential of two conductors

What is the concept of electric potential?

The electric potential of a point in an electric field is defined as the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to that point. It is measured in volts (V).

How is electric potential different from electric field?

The electric field is a vector quantity that describes the direction and strength of the force acting on a charge, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy associated with a charge at a particular point in an electric field.

What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the conductor, and r is the distance between the two conductors.

How does the distance between two conductors affect the electric potential?

The electric potential is directly proportional to the distance between the two conductors. As the distance increases, the electric potential decreases. This is because the electric field becomes weaker as the distance increases, resulting in a lower potential.

What factors affect the electric potential of two conductors?

The electric potential of two conductors is affected by the distance between them, the charge of the conductors, and the medium between them. The electric potential also depends on the shape of the conductors and the distribution of charge on them.