Electric Potential of Charge Distribution

In summary, the problem asks for the point on the x-axis where the electric field vanishes for two point charges and finding the potential function, which can be found by summing the potential at a given point for each point charge. The solution also shows that the equipotential surface is a sphere.
metgt4

Homework Statement

Two point charges, -q and q/3, are situated at the origin and at the point (a,0,0) respectively. At what point on the x-axis does the Electric Field Vanish? Find the potential function and show that the V = 0 equipotential surface is a sphere

Homework Equations

I have found that the electric field can be described as:

E = [tex]\frac{q}{4pi\epsilon_{o}}[/tex][[tex]\frac{-1}{r^2}\widehat{r}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{q}{3(r^2 + a^2 - 2racos\alpha}\widehat{r'}[/tex]]

where alpha is the angle between r and r', but I'm not sure how to find the potential field. I know that the potential is the negative integral of the electric field, but I get stuck when trying to integrate the potential due to the positive charge. I'm sure that the solution is something SUPER obvious that I simply am overlooking in my sleep deprived state, but any hints or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to do any integrals. For any point, find the potential there for each point charge and sum them.

Related to Electric Potential of Charge Distribution

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in units of volts (V).

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction. It is dependent on the position in the electric field, while electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge at a specific point in the field.

How is electric potential of charge distribution calculated?

The electric potential of a charge distribution is calculated by summing the individual electric potentials of each point charge in the distribution. This can be done using the equation V = kq/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to the point where the potential is being calculated.

What is the relationship between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy associated with the position of a charge in an electric field. Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge, so the relationship between the two is that electric potential energy can be calculated by multiplying electric potential by the charge of the particle.

How does a conductor influence the electric potential of a charge distribution?

Conductors have the ability to distribute charge evenly on their surface, creating a constant potential on the surface and no electric field inside. Therefore, the presence of a conductor can significantly alter the electric potential of a charge distribution by redistributing the charges on its surface.