Electric potential of a spinning rod.

In summary, an electric dipole with 1.0 g spheres charged to +(-) 2.0 nC at the ends of a 10-cm-long massless rod rotates on a frictionless pivot at its center. When held perpendicular to a uniform electric field with field strength 1000 V/m and released, it will have an angular velocity of .28 rad/sec at the instant it is aligned with the electric field. The formula for the potential of a dipole in an electric field is U = -\mathbf{p} \cdot \mathbf{E}, and the formula for angular velocity is ω = [2(pE)/I]^.5, where p is the electric dipole moment,
Lusos

Homework Statement

An electric dipole consists of 1.0 g spheres charged to +(-) 2.0 nC at the ends of a 10-cm-long massless rod. The dipole rotates on a frictionless pivot at it's center. The dipole is held perpendicular to a uniform electric field with field strength 1000 V/m, then released. What is the dipoles angular velocity at the instant it is aligned with the electric field?

Homework Equations

E= ΔVc/d
U = (Kq1q2)/r
qΔv = Kf + qΔV
ω = dθ/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

book answer = .28 rad/sec

I am at a loss as to where to start on this solution. The object shouldn't have any kinetic initial because it is motionless. I am supposed to calculate angular velocity after it passes 90°, yet do I use energy? I have tried using the following

U(int) = Kfinal + Ufinal

Kq1q2-r = kq1q2 + .5Iω^2

However, as you can see the Potentials cancel out to zero and give me a zero answer. There is an obvious flaw in my reasoning. Can someone please lead me in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're thinking of the potential of a single point charge - I think the formula for the potential of a dipole in an electric field given by

[tex] U = -\mathbf{p} \cdot \mathbf{E} [/tex]

Last edited:
Alright guys, I went to the professor and got som help. For posterity in that class (I'm talking to you GC), I am posting the solution.

Using a bar chart, we find that we have zero initial energy. That is

0 = KE - Uq

.5Iω^2 - pE where p =qs

Given p = 2x10^-9 and "s" = .1m, then p = 2x10^-10

Rearrange your equation so that you solve for the ω.

[2(pE)/I]^.5 = ω

Where your moment of intertia is (5x10^-6)

(2(2x10^-10)(1000))/(5x10^-6) = .28 rad/sec

Related to Electric potential of a spinning rod.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the work required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is often described as the amount of electric potential energy per unit of charge at a given point in space.

2. How does a spinning rod create electric potential?

A spinning rod can create electric potential through the principle of electromagnetic induction. As the rod spins, it generates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric field and creates an electric potential in the surrounding space.

3. Can the electric potential of a spinning rod be manipulated?

Yes, the electric potential of a spinning rod can be manipulated by changing the speed of rotation, the material of the rod, and the strength of the magnetic field it produces. Additionally, the orientation of the rod in relation to the magnetic field can also affect the electric potential.

4. What are some real-world applications of the electric potential of a spinning rod?

The electric potential of a spinning rod has many practical applications, including generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in devices such as electric cars, power plants, and wind turbines to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

5. How is the electric potential of a spinning rod measured?

The electric potential of a spinning rod can be measured using a voltmeter, which measures the difference in potential between two points in the electric field. The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V).