Electric Potential of a Finite Rod

In summary, the question asks for the electric potential a distance x away from the center of a thin rod of length L and charge Q, lying along the x-axis with its center at the origin. The correct expression for this potential is given by \left(\frac{1}{4{\cdot}{\pi}{\cdot}{\epsilon}_{0}}\right){\cdot}\left(\frac{Q}{L}\right){\cdot}{\ln}\left(\frac{2{\cdot}x+L}{2{\cdot}x-L}\right), with the integration variable running from x-L/2 to x+L/2.
eckz59

Homework Statement

The figure shows a thin rod of length L and charge Q. It lies directly along the x-axis with its center at the origin. Find an expression for the electric potential a distance x away from the center of the rod on the axis of the rod. (Give your answer in terms of x, L, Q and appropriate constants.)

Homework Equations

[tex]V=Q/(4\pi\epsilon_{0}x)[/tex]
[tex]\lambda=Q/L[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to integrate each infinitesimal potential, but I am not sure what bounds to integrate over? Here is what I have done so far:

[tex]dQ=\lambda*dx[/tex]
[tex]dV=dQ/(4\pi\epsilon_{0}x)=\lambda*dx/(4\pi\epsilon_{0}x)[/tex]

Now, when both sides are integrated the result is:

[tex]V=\lambda/(4\pi\epsilon_{0})\int(1/x)dx[/tex]

The integral becomes a natural log. I have tried with several combinations of lower boundaries (0, -L/2, +L/2) and upper boundaries (L/2, x) but none of my results are correct (I get instant feedback on whether my answer is correct).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Isn't the x of your integral the distance from the discrete element charges to the point X, so the range of the distances is x-L/2 and x-3L/2 for E field along the + x-axis?

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

Isn't the x of your integral the distance from the discrete element charges to the point X, so the range of the distances is x-L/2 and x-3L/2 for E field along the + x-axis?

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{4{\cdot}{\pi}{\cdot}{\epsilon}_{0}}\right){\cdot}\left(\frac{Q}{L}\right){\cdot}{\ln}\left(\frac{2{\cdot}x+L}{2{\cdot}x-L}\right)[/tex]

This is the correct answer! I'm not sure if what you said is correct but it set off a light bulb in my mind that made me realize that the integration variable had to run from x-L/2 to x+L/2! Thanks for your insight, and your welcome to the PF.

eckz59 said:
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{4{\cdot}{\pi}{\cdot}{\epsilon}_{0}}\right){\cdot}\left(\frac{Q}{L}\right){\cdot}{\ln}\left(\frac{2{\cdot}x+L}{2{\cdot}x-L}\right)[/tex]

This is the correct answer! I'm not sure if what you said is correct but it set off a light bulb in my mind that made me realize that the integration variable had to run from x-L/2 to x+L/2! Thanks for your insight, and your welcome to the PF.

Right. I was sloppy in the 3/2 because that distance is x+L/2 to the other end. Glad you caught my error and it didn't mislead but rather served to possibly inspire.

Related to Electric Potential of a Finite Rod

What is the "Electric Potential of a Finite Rod"?

The "Electric Potential of a Finite Rod" refers to the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at any point along a finite rod due to its electric field.

How is the electric potential of a finite rod calculated?

The electric potential of a finite rod is calculated by using the equation V = k * Q / L, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

What factors affect the electric potential of a finite rod?

The electric potential of a finite rod is affected by the charge on the rod, the length of the rod, and the distance from the rod.

What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

The electric potential and electric field are related by the equation E = -dV/dx, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and x is the distance from the rod. This means that the electric field is the negative derivative of the electric potential.

How does the electric potential of a finite rod change with distance?

The electric potential of a finite rod decreases as the distance from the rod increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a lower potential. The electric potential also follows an inverse relationship with the distance, meaning that as the distance doubles, the electric potential is halved.