Electric potential of a dipole moment

In summary: The two charges have opposite signs. The positive charge causes V+=qk/(r-d/2) potential at distance r from the origin, and the negative charge contributes to the potential by V-=qk/(r+d/2). The potential at P is the sum of V+ and V-: ##V(r)=qk\left(\frac{1}{r-d/2}-\frac{1}{r+d/2}\right)##. Bring the fractions to common denominator and use that d/r << 1.
Leporad

Homework Statement

The dipole moment of a water molecule is 6.29E-30Cm. What is the electric potential's magnitude 1.43nm from a water molecule along the axis of the dipole?

Homework Equations

p = qr

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have values for q or r. I just know the magnitude of the dipole moment and the distance away from the molecule in which I have to figure out the electric potential. I don't know where to go from here.

And even if given q, how would I figure out V.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the electric potential of two equal and opposite charges d distance apart symbolically, at distance x from the centre of the dipole, and then take into account that x>>d.

ehild

That doesn't really help me.

You know the formula for the potential of a point charge? A point charge q is at x1=d/2, and an other one is at x2=-d/2. What is the potential at the point with coordinate x?

ehild

Has anyone figured out how to do this question? I have it too but I can't find the procedure anywhere online for it.

TheExibo said:
Has anyone figured out how to do this question? I have it too but I can't find the procedure anywhere online for it.
Do you know what is the electric potential of a point charge at distance D from it?
You have two charges, arranged along the x axis, both at distance d/2 from the origin. What are their potential at the point P, distance x from the origin?
upload_2017-10-31_5-39-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-31_5-39-15.png
    upload_2017-10-31_5-39-15.png
    998 bytes · Views: 1,424
ehild said:
Do you know what is the electric potential of a point charge at distance D from it?
You have two charges, arranged along the x axis, both at distance d/2 from the origin. What are their potential at the point P, distance x from the origin? View attachment 214070

How do I determine what d/2 is?

TheExibo said:
How do I determine what d/2 is?
You do not need to determine it. The dipole momentum is given, and P=qd. At the end, you will find that the potential is proportional to qd, that is, the dipole moment.

ehild said:
You do not need to determine it. The dipole momentum is given, and P=qd. At the end, you will find that the potential is proportional to qd, that is, the dipole moment.

So I have P/(2q)=d/2 so far. I have also made the equations V=qk/(r-d/2) and V=qk/(r+d/2) and r is the distance from the origin to the point at which potential is measured.

What is next? I don't understand how to substitute them since d/2, V, and q are unknown.

Nevermind. I have found that the equation V=kp/r^2 works, although I don't know how this equation was derived.

TheExibo said:
So I have P/(2q)=d/2 so far. I have also made the equations V=qk/(r-d/2) and V =qk/(r+d/2) and r is the distance from the origin to the point at which potential is measured.

What is next? I don't understand how to substitute them since d/2, V, and q are unknown.
The two charges have opposite signs. The positive charge causes V+=qk/(r-d/2) potential at distance r from the origin, and the negative charge contributes to the potential by V-=qk/(r+d/2). The potential at P is the sum of V+ and V-: ##V(r)=qk\left(\frac{1}{r-d/2}-\frac{1}{r+d/2}\right)##. Bring the fractions to common denominator and use that d/r << 1.

Related to Electric potential of a dipole moment

1. What is the definition of electric potential of a dipole moment?

The electric potential of a dipole moment is a measure of the potential energy that a dipole possesses in an electric field.

2. How is the electric potential of a dipole moment calculated?

The electric potential of a dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the distance between the two charges in the dipole.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and dipole moment?

The electric potential of a dipole moment is directly proportional to the magnitude of the dipole moment and the electric field strength.

4. How does the orientation of a dipole affect its electric potential?

The orientation of a dipole in an electric field can greatly affect its electric potential. If the dipole is aligned with the electric field, the electric potential will be at a maximum. If the dipole is perpendicular to the electric field, the electric potential will be at a minimum.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric potential of a dipole moment?

The electric potential of a dipole moment has many applications in technology, including in the operation of batteries, electric motors, and capacitors. It is also an important concept in understanding the behavior of molecules in chemical reactions.