Electric Potential of a Charged Disk

In summary, In first year math, the electric potential at any point on the positive x-axis of a charged disk (where the x-axis is perpendicular to the centre of the disk) is approximated by the electric potential at point x = infinity, assuming the potential at infinity is zero.
thegreenlaser
I was working on E&M I homework with my friend, and the final question was to find the electric potential at any point on the positive x-axis of a charged disk (where the x-axis is perpendicular to the centre of the disk) We solved this easily enough, starting with a point charge and integrating the electric potential in steps. We got to the end and had a formula for the electric potential at point x (it was the correct answer). Thing is, we know that potential is always in reference to some 'zero' point (infinity in the case of a point charge), so we decided to figure out if that point was infinity for a disk as well, and if not, what it would be. I worked on that for a while and came out with something... but neither of us is really sure about how to interpret it. I'm still in first year so I'm very inexperienced with coming up with this sort of thing on my own and I apologize for any "bad" methods I used. I fully expect to have messed something up, so please tell me what I've done wrong. If I managed to do everything right, my questions are at the end of the pdf that I've attached (I was having trouble with latex, so I just scanned some notes that I made about this)

Help is greatly appreciated. Sorry if anything is unclear.

Attachments

• Electric Potential of a Charged Disk.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,668
Physics news on Phys.org
I always get a bit uneasy when dealing with infinities. But I see 2 things in your analysis:

1. The very first thing you assume in your analysis (in taking the electric potential due to a point charge) is that the potential at infinity is zero.

2. As x -> infinity, x >> r and so Sqrt[x^2+r^2] is approximately Sqrt[x^2] or just x. So in your equation Vx=q/(2*Pi*r^2)*(Sqrt[x^2+r^2] -x), the (Sqrt[x^2+r^2] -x) could be said to approach zero. Maybe that's not technically mathematically correct, but physically that's what has to happen.

One thing to note is that as x becomes >> r, the disk approximates a point charge with respect to the distance x. The limit with a finite r and as x -> ∞ should be the same as a point charge.

timthereaper said:
I always get a bit uneasy when dealing with infinities. But I see 2 things in your analysis:

1. The very first thing you assume in your analysis (in taking the electric potential due to a point charge) is that the potential at infinity is zero.

2. As x -> infinity, x >> r and so Sqrt[x^2+r^2] is approximately Sqrt[x^2] or just x. So in your equation Vx=q/(2*Pi*r^2)*(Sqrt[x^2+r^2] -x), the (Sqrt[x^2+r^2] -x) could be said to approach zero. Maybe that's not technically mathematically correct, but physically that's what has to happen.

Ah... so I just failed at limits. I guess I was looking for some sort of "constant divided by infinity" term rather than actually taking the limit properly. If having the reference point at infinity works, then I guess the rest of what I did is kind of pointless. I found that other x_0 but it's kind of a useless one because it's dependent on x. Well, thanks for showing me my error. I can't believe that neither my friend or me saw that.

Dear student,

First of all, congratulations on successfully solving the problem and coming up with a formula for the electric potential at any point on the positive x-axis of a charged disk. It's great that you and your friend took the extra step to figure out the reference point for the potential and tried to interpret your solution.

From what you have described, it seems like you have taken the approach of finding the electric potential due to a continuous distribution of charge, which is correct. The reference point for the potential in this case would indeed be at infinity, just like it is for a point charge. This means that the potential at infinity would be zero, and the potential at any point on the positive x-axis would be relative to that.

In terms of interpreting your solution, it would be helpful to see the formula that you have derived. However, in general, the electric potential at any point on the positive x-axis of a charged disk would depend on the distance from the center of the disk and the charge density of the disk. It would also be influenced by any other charges present in the system.

If you have any specific questions about your solution, please feel free to share them. As a scientist, it is important to constantly question and review our methods and results, so don't worry about making mistakes. It's all part of the learning process.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the problem. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out for help when needed.

Best regards,

Related to Electric Potential of a Charged Disk

What is the electric potential of a charged disk?

The electric potential of a charged disk is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at any point on the disk's surface. It is also known as the voltage of the disk.

How is the electric potential of a charged disk calculated?

The electric potential of a charged disk can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the disk, and r is the distance from the center of the disk to the point where the potential is being measured.

What factors affect the electric potential of a charged disk?

The electric potential of a charged disk is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the charge on the disk, as well as the distance from the center of the disk. It is also influenced by the surrounding electric field and the presence of other nearby charges.

How does the electric potential of a charged disk change with distance?

The electric potential of a charged disk decreases as the distance from the center of the disk increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a lower potential energy per unit charge.

What are the real-world applications of the electric potential of a charged disk?

The electric potential of a charged disk is used in various technologies such as capacitors, electric generators, and particle accelerators. It is also an important concept in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.