Electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the electric field and potential for a charge placed at a distance from an infinite plane charge distribution. The electric field is easily calculated, but the potential requires integration and the determination of an unknown constant. This constant can be chosen by selecting a suitable reference point where the potential is defined to be zero. However, if the calculation is done starting from a circular plane distribution and pulling the radius to infinity, the potential will become infinite unless a suitable reference point is chosen.
p3rry
Hello everybody,
I have to calculate the electric field and the potential for a charge [tex]q[/tex] placed at distance [tex]d[/tex] from an infinite plane charge distribution [tex]\sigma[/tex].

For the electric field there's no problem, but how I can get the electric potential for an infinite charge distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate the field.

ok, but I get an unknown constant.

The field is [tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}[/tex] in the x direction. So if I integrate it I get

[tex]V(x)=V(0)-\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}x[/tex]

Where the constant is unknown...maybe I don't need to know it

Further, if I calculate the potential starting from a circular plane distribution and then pulling the radius to infinity I get an infinite potential

Last edited:
p3rry said:
ok, but I get an unknown constant.

The field is [tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}[/tex] in the x direction.

No, that's just the field of a uniformly charged plate with surface charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex]... what about the field of the point charge?

So if I integrate it I get

[tex]V(x)=V(0)-\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}x[/tex]

Where the constant is unknown...maybe I don't need to know it

There is always an "unknown constant" when calculating the potential. This is because it is determined from the differential equation [itex]\textbf{E}=-\mathbf{\nabla}V[/itex], and as you should know, first order DE's need at least one boundary/initial condition to find a unique solution...You are free to choose any value for your constant, simply by choosing a suitable reference point (a point where you define the potential to be zero)...in this case, choosing the origin as a reference point makes things simple (so that V(0)=0).

Further, if I calculate the potential starting from a circular plane distribution and then pulling the radius to infinity I get an infinite potential

Unless you show your calculation, I cannot be certain of your error, but I suspect you are unknowingly choosing your reference point to be at r=infinity...r=infinity is usually a bad choice of reference point when dealing with charge distributions the extend to infinity.

Related to Electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution

1. What is electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution?

The electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in space near the plane. It describes the strength and direction of the electric field at that point.

2. How is electric potential calculated for an infinite plane charge distribution?

The electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution can be calculated using the formula V = -E*d, where V is the potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance from the plane. This formula applies for points above and below the plane.

3. What is the unit of electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution?

The unit of electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How does the electric potential change as distance from the infinite plane charge distribution increases?

The electric potential decreases as the distance from the infinite plane charge distribution increases. This is because the magnitude of the electric field decreases with distance, and the electric potential is directly proportional to the electric field.

5. Can the electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution ever be negative?

Yes, the electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution can be negative. This occurs when the electric field is directed away from the plane, and the potential energy of a charged particle decreases as it moves away from the plane. Negative potential values are typically found at points below the plane.