Electric Potential : First concepts

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential difference needed for an electron to achieve a speed of 39.0% of the speed of light, starting from rest. The equation Ka + Ua = Kb + Ub is used to calculate this, with the variables for Kb and charge being known. The non-relativistic solution gives a potential difference of 38.9 kV and the relativistic solution gives 44.0 kV.
mitleid
I submitted this last night, but for some reason it didn't go through... so I don't have time to make it as awesome as I had before.

Through what potential difference would an electron need to be accelerated for it to achieve a speed of 39.0% of the speed of light, starting from rest?

C = 3.00 x 10^8
M(e-) = 9.11x10^-31
abs(e) = 1.60x10^-19 [I have been using this value as q)

Ka + Ua = Kb + Ub where K is kinetic energy and U is the potential. Ka = 0 and the equation can be simplified to something like -Kb = Ub - Ua.

I have all the variables for Kb as well as the charge. What I worked things down to last night was along the lines of Kb/q = (Ub/q - Ua/q) = [tex]\Delta[/tex]V. The units worked out (I'm pretty certain) and I got a reasonable answer in kV, something like 39.0kV.

Apologies for the lack of depth here, I actually have to run off to my physics class! Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Likes malawi_glenn
Physics news on Phys.org
The work done on the electron by the field is q⋅ΔU and this work will increase the kinetic energy of the electron. Now the problem stated that it started at rest, so q⋅ΔU = mv2/2 non-relativistically.

This gives you 38.9 kV

For the relativistic answer, you need to use Ek = (γ-1)mc2 where γ = (1-(v/c)2).

This gives you 44.0 kV

Related to Electric Potential : First concepts

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. It represents the ability of an electric field to do work on a charged particle.

2. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is directly related to electric field. The electric field is the negative gradient of electric potential, meaning that it is the change in electric potential per unit distance in a given direction.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential and electric potential energy are related but distinct concepts. Electric potential is a measure of the energy per unit charge at a specific point, while electric potential energy is the total energy a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field.

4. How is electric potential calculated?

The electric potential at a point is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at that point. It can also be calculated by integrating the electric field with respect to distance.

5. What are the units of electric potential?

The SI unit of electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C). In CGS units, electric potential is measured in statvolts (statV), which is equivalent to ergs per statcoulomb (erg/statC).