Electric Potential Energy two spheres connected by a long wire

In summary: thanks! so now that the potential is the same, how do you calculate the equilibrium charge on the smaller sphere?thanks! so now that the potential is the same, how do you calculate the equilibrium charge on the smaller sphere?
Mikesgto
Two metal spheres are connected by a long wire with a switch. The radius of the larger sphere (B) is b= 0.20 m and the radius of the smaller sphere (A) is a= 0.080 m. Initially the switch is open and both spheres have zero charge. Then charge Q0 = 1.0 μC is placed on the larger sphere.

B) Calculate the total electrostatic potential energy.
(c) Now close the switch. The system of two spheres will come to a new equilibrium. Calculate the equilibrium charge on the smaller sphere (A).
d)Calculate the final electrostatic potential at the surface of the smaller sphere (A).

Part A which included calculating the electrostatic potential at the surface of B was done by me. I attempted part be numerous times with the idea of splitting the charge up into 4 and then bringing them in one at a time, keeping in mind the way the charges would affect each other but that seemed to be wrong. I am completely lost with this one. Is the 1.0μC charge directly transferred to the smaller sphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there no one that can someone shed some light on the subject? Just clear things up is all.

If connected, the surface of both spheres are at the same potential. For an isolated sphere, the potential on the surface is kQ/R. Assume that you can use this formula for the case when the spheres are connected with a wire. (It is a good approximation if they are far away from each other). The charge will be shared between them to make the potential equal on both spheres.

ehild

I thought the potential would be the same as well, but after I calculate the potential of the surface of the larger sphere, what charge should I use for the total? The answer I got for the surface potential of sphere B should be added to the surface potential of sphere A and that should be the total right?

Yes, the total charge is Q0 = 1.0 μC, and it is shared, so there is Qa charge on the smaller sphere and Qb=Q0-Qa on the bigger one, so as the potential is the same at both surfaces.

ehild

So wouldn't the "electrostatic potential at the surface of sphere B" be the same as A? I think the online homework expects an answer in joules which I don't really understand.

Mikesgto said:
So wouldn't the "electrostatic potential at the surface of sphere B" be the same as A? I think the online homework expects an answer in joules which I don't really understand.

The potentials are the same when the spheres are connected. And the unit of potential is joule/coulomb.

ehild

Related to Electric Potential Energy two spheres connected by a long wire

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that is associated with the position or configuration of charged particles in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

The electric potential energy between two charged objects can be calculated using the equation U = kQ1Q2/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. How are two spheres connected by a long wire related to electric potential energy?

The two spheres connected by a long wire are considered as a system, where one sphere is positively charged and the other is negatively charged. The electric potential energy of this system can be calculated using the equation U = kQ1Q2/r, where Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two spheres and r is the distance between them.

4. How does the distance between the two spheres affect the electric potential energy?

The electric potential energy between two spheres connected by a long wire is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the electric potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the electric potential energy of the two spheres ever be negative?

Yes, the electric potential energy of the two spheres can be negative if the two spheres have opposite charges. This means that the electric potential energy is released when the two spheres are brought closer together, and the system is in a more stable state.