Electric Potential Energy Question

In summary, a test charge of +1.0 x 10^-6 C is placed 40 cm from a charged sphere of 3.2 x 10^-3 C. To find the potential at 0.4 m and 100 m due to the charged sphere, the potential energy formula E = kq1q2/r is used. The potential difference between these two points can be found by multiplying this with the test charge. To find the work required to move the test charge from a point 1.0 x 10^2 m away from the sphere, the same formula is used. To calculate the number of electrons gained or lost from the test object, the formula N = q/e is used, resulting
wilson_chem90
A test charge of +1.0 x 10^-6 C is 40 cm from a charged sphere of 3.2 x 10^-3 C.

a) How much work was required to move it there from a point 1.0 x 10^2 m away from the sphere?
b) How many electrons were gained or lost from the test object.

Relevant equations:
Ee = kq1q2/r
N = q/E

I know how to find b) but for a), I'm not sure if i had to add the two distances together then subtract the charges and divide it by the new distance. anyways, the help would be much appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the potential at 0.4 m and 100 m due to the charged sphere.
Find the potential difference between these two points. Multiply this with test charge to find the work done.

just to clarify, i need to use E = kq1q2/r for both distances, and i use the sphere and test charge for both calclations. and then i subtract the answers, and multiply it by the test charge?

wilson_chem90 said:
just to clarify, i need to use E = kq1q2/r for both distances, and i use the sphere and test charge for both calculations. and then i subtract the answers, and multiply it by the test charge?
If you use the potential energy formula, i.e. E = kq1q2/r, you need not multiply the answer by the test charge.

actually for b), just to make sure. I use N = q/e
the calculation would be:
N = (1.0 x 10^-6 C) / (1.6 x 10^-19 C)
= 6.25 x 10^12 electrons gained or lost

the question is b) How many electrons were gained or lost from the test object to create the charge.

Related to Electric Potential Energy Question

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. It is the energy that is required to move the particle from one point to another in the electric field.

How is electric potential energy calculated?

Electric potential energy is calculated using the formula U = qV, where U is the electric potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the electric potential difference between two points in the electric field.

What factors affect electric potential energy?

The factors that affect electric potential energy include the amount of charge of the particle, the distance between the charged particles, and the strength of the electric field.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the electric potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. Electric potential is measured in volts, while electric potential energy is measured in joules.

How is electric potential energy related to work?

Electric potential energy is related to work through the equation W = ΔU, where W is the work done on a charged particle, and ΔU is the change in electric potential energy of the particle. This means that work is required to move a charged particle against an electric field, and this work is stored as electric potential energy.