Electric Potential Energy, Point Charges and velocity

In summary, the question involves two small metal spheres with net charges q1 = -2.90 μC and q2 = -7.20 μC, respectively. The first sphere is held stationary by insulating supports while the second sphere is projected towards it at a speed of 22.0 m/s. The two spheres can be treated as point charges and the force of gravity can be ignored. The solution involves calculating the electric potential energy at two different distances (0.43m and 0.8m) and using the conservation of energy to find the kinetic energy and velocity at each distance.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A small metal sphere, carrying a net charge of q1 = -2.90 μC , is held in a stationary position by insulating supports. A second small metal sphere, with a net charge of q2 = -7.20 μC and mass 1.70g , is projected toward q1. When the two spheres are 0.800 m apart, q2 is moving toward q1 with speed 22.0 m/s as in figure 1. Assume that the two spheres can be treated as point charges. You can ignore the force of gravity.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2 = kinetic energy
u = kq1q2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

As my attached image shows, I have gotten the correct answer fort his question but I'm not sure how I did it.

So I began by calculating the electric potential energy (U) when q2 was 0.43m away from q1.

U0.43m = k(-2.90x10^-6 C)(-7.2x10^-6 C)/(0.43m)

U0.43m = 0.437 J

My question at this point is why can I not just plug in my value for U0.43m (0.437 J) into the kinetic energy formula?

If I do this I get:

0.437 J = 1/2(1.70/1000)(v^2)
v = 22.67 m/s

Which, I'll admit, does not make sense because this says that the velocity of q2 has increased when it should decrease because q1 and q2 have same charges, thus they should repel each other, thereby slowing down q2.

I then calculated the electric potential energy (U) when q2 is 0.8 m from q1:

U0.8m = k(-2.90x10^-6 C)(-7.20x10^-6 C)/(0.800m)
U0.8m = -.2349 J

I then subtracted U0.800m from U0.43m
= 0.437 J - 0.2349J
= 0.2026 J

I then plugged this ΔU into the kinetic energy formula
1/2mv^2 = 0.2026J
v = 15.7 m/s

Why was it necessary to find the electric potential energy of the two distances?

Attachments

• Hwk 4 question 2.png
    Hwk 4 question 2.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,553
Physics news on Phys.org
This is because the total energy is conserved. PE + KE = constant. So if the system has PE1 at some point, and PE2 at some other point, then PE1 + KE1 = PE2 + KE2, hence PE1 - PE2 = KE2 - KE1.

Related to Electric Potential Energy, Point Charges and velocity

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the amount of work required to move a charged particle from one point to another in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy related to point charges?

Electric potential energy is directly proportional to the magnitude of the point charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the magnitude of the charges increases, the potential energy also increases. However, as the distance between the charges increases, the potential energy decreases.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential energy?

The formula for electric potential energy is U = kQq/r, where U is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q and q are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

4. How does velocity affect electric potential energy?

The velocity of a charged particle does not directly affect its electric potential energy. However, if the particle is moving in an electric field, it can gain kinetic energy, which can then be converted into electric potential energy when the particle interacts with other charges.

5. Can electric potential energy be negative?

Yes, electric potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the charges have opposite signs and are attracted to each other, resulting in a negative value for potential energy. On the other hand, if the charges have the same sign and are repelling each other, the potential energy will be positive.