Electric potential energy and point charges

In summary, the homework question asks about the potential energy, electrical potential at a specific point, and work required for a system of two point charges with values of +5.00 nanoC and -3.00 nanoC separated by 35.00 cm. The significance of the algebraic sign is that it represents the direction of the electric field. The electrical potential at a point midway between the charges can be calculated by dividing the distance in half and using the same formula as in question a. The work required to bring a charge of +2.00 nanoC from far away to the point midway between the charges can also be calculated using the same formula. There is no height involved in the electrical potential energy formula.
cristina045

Homework Statement

Two point charges , Qz= +5.00 nanoC and Q2= -3.00 nanoC, are separated by 35.00 cm.
a) What is the potential energy of the pair? What is the significance of the algebraic sign?
b) what is electrical potential at a point midway between the charges?
(here I'm supposing i'd do it the same way as in question a but divide the distance in half?)
c)how much work is required to bring a charge Q3=+2.00nanoC from very far away to the point midway between the charges

Homework Equations

Im guessing i have to use deltaV=delta PE/q= - Ed but I am still not sure about how to proceed because i have coulombs and these equations work in volts.

Also, when it says separated by 35.0 cm, would this equal my height in the potential energy formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no height. You're confusing it with gravitational potential energy. Look for a formula for the electrical potential energy for a system of point charges.

Related to Electric potential energy and point charges

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is a measure of the work required to move the particle from one point in the field to another.

2. How is electric potential energy related to point charges?

Electric potential energy is directly related to point charges, as the potential energy between two point charges is given by the product of their charges and the distance between them. The closer the charges are, the higher the potential energy.

3. What is the unit of electric potential energy?

The unit of electric potential energy is the joule (J), which is equivalent to a newton-meter (N*m). It can also be expressed in terms of electron volts (eV) or kilowatt-hours (kWh).

4. How does electric potential energy affect the motion of charged particles?

The electric potential energy of a charged particle can influence its motion by exerting a force on the particle. The particle will move in the direction of the force, and its kinetic energy may change as a result.

5. Can electric potential energy be negative?

Yes, electric potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the charges involved have opposite signs, resulting in a negative value for the potential energy. This negative potential energy is released when the charges move closer together, converting into kinetic energy.