Electric potential difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an X-ray tube and how electrons are accelerated to produce X-rays. The questions pertain to the potential difference needed to achieve a certain speed for electrons and protons, as well as the relationship between potential difference and kinetic energy for protons. The conversation also highlights some confusion about the difference between velocity and voltage.
aszty8

Homework Statement

An X-ray tube is similar to a cathode-ray tube. Electrons are accelerated to high speeds at one end of the tube. If they are moving fast enough when they hit the screen at the other end, they give up their energy as X-rays (a form of nonvisible light).

(a.) Through what potential difference should electrons be accelerated so that their speed is 1.00% of the speed of light when they hit the other end of the tube?
(b.) What speed would this potential difference give to protons? Express your answer in m/s.
(c.) What potential difference would be needed to give protons the same kinetic energy as the electrons?

This is literally all we are told for this problem so I'm super confused. How am I supposed to go about solving this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Homework Equations

ΔV = ΔU/q0 = -WAB / q0

The Attempt at a Solution

so if our change in speed is 1%, I think my [itex]\Delta[/itex]V would be .01, but I have no idea what to do from there (or if I'm even on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
so if our change in speed is 1%
Not a "change in speed". The initial speed is zero, and the final velocity is [what]?
I think my ΔV would be .01
No, that does not work. Just check the units: ΔV is an energy, 0.01 is a number.

Oh god I feel so dumb now... The final velocity would be 1% of the speed of light, so 1% of 299792458 m/s, which would be 2997924.58 (or 2.99 x 10^6).

So our ΔV would be 2997924.58 ?

Am I being really dumb and mixing up velocity and volt?

So our ΔV would be 2997924.58 ?
Stop guessing, please.
What is ΔV? It is neither velocity nor Volt. How is that quantity related to the speed of electrons?

I know that

V=U/q0

And that

VB-VA=UB/q0-UA/q0=-WAB/q0
ΔV=ΔU/q0=-WAB/q0

aszty8, my question is really basic (and I think your problem is exactly at that point): What type of physical quantity is V (and ΔV)? Is it a length? Is it a time? No, it is not, but do you know what it is?

Related to Electric potential difference?

What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

How is electric potential difference related to electric current?

Electric potential difference is what drives electric current. In other words, it is the force that pushes electric charges to move through a conductor. The greater the potential difference, the higher the electric current will flow.

What factors affect electric potential difference?

The two main factors that affect electric potential difference are the amount of charge and the distance between the two points. The greater the amount of charge and the closer the two points are, the higher the potential difference will be.

How is electric potential difference measured?

Electric potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electric potential energy between two points. It is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured.

What is the unit of measurement for electric potential difference?

The unit of measurement for electric potential difference is the volt (V), which is equivalent to one joule per coulomb. It is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first chemical battery.