Electric Potential Difference b/w A & B: Solving for VA - VB

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the electric potential difference between two points (A and B) in a constant electric field. The distance between the points is given as 2 meters and the angle between the line joining the points and the electric field is 40 degrees. The formula used is V = Fd/q where F is the force exerted, d is the distance moved, and q is the charge. The force is calculated as qE*cos(A) where A is the angle between the force and the direction of movement. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to double check the calculation.
tag16

Homework Statement

Two points (A and B) are shown in a constant electric field of E = 850 N/C. The distance between A and B is L = 2 m. The line joining the two points makes an angle of 40 degrees with the electric field. Determine the electric potential difference (in Volts) between points A and B -- that is VA - VB.

Homework Equations

E_s cos(theta)=-Ed

The Attempt at a Solution

would I just do E(cos theta) or -Ed? or are neither right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I like to think of it is that the change in potential V is the work that must be done per unit charge to move a charge from A to B. The work is the force that must be exerted times the distance for which it is exerted. So we have
V = W/q and W = Fd or V = Fd/q
The electric field causes a force on the charge we are moving, F = qE.
However this force is not in the exact direction we are pushing the charge. So the force we need to overcome is actually qE*cos(A) where A is the angle between the E field and the direction we are going. That leaves us with a potential difference of
V = Fd/q = qE*cos(A)*d/q.

except that q is not given in the problem

The q on the top cancels with the q on the bottom.

yeah I thought that might be it so I tried it that way but still got the wrong answer

I'm not supposed to show you the calculation for fear of spoiling the experience for you. But if you show your calc, we can check it.

Related to Electric Potential Difference b/w A & B: Solving for VA - VB

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How do you calculate the electric potential difference between two points A and B?

The electric potential difference between two points A and B can be calculated using the formula V = VA - VB, where VA is the potential at point A and VB is the potential at point B.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference is measured in volts (V).

4. Why is it important to calculate electric potential difference?

Calculating electric potential difference allows us to understand the movement of electric charges and the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is also important in determining the energy required for an electric charge to move between two points.

5. Can electric potential difference have a negative value?

Yes, electric potential difference can have a negative value. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the positive charge movement.