Electric Potential: Derive Expression for Vxy

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression for electric potential between two points in an electric field due to a single point charge. The derived expressions differ depending on the method used, but it is important to pay attention to signs in order to accurately calculate the work done per unit charge.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for p.d , V between point X and point Y in an electric field due to a single point charge +Q as shown in the figure attached .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vxy=Vy-Vx

[tex]=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_o r_y}-\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_o r_x}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_o}(\frac{1}{r_y}-\frac{1}{r_x})[/tex]

I guess it's not that simple , because this question carries 5 marks .

sorry , i am not sure which is the icon to wrap these math codes .. could someone pls modify my post ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thereddevils said:
I guess it's not that simple , because this question carries 5 marks .
Looks OK to me. Were you supposed to derive it from the electric field?

sorry , i am not sure which is the icon to wrap these math codes .. could someone pls modify my post ?
To use Latex, wrap it with tex tags:
[tag]x^2[/tag] = [tex]x^2[/tex]

replace 'tag' with 'tex'

Doc Al said:
Looks OK to me. Were you supposed to derive it from the electric field?

To use Latex, wrap it with tex tags:
[tag]x^2[/tag] = [tex]x^2[/tex]

replace 'tag' with 'tex'

thanks , but this is another way of doing it ..

Vxy=Vy-Vx

and from work definition , dW=F dr

[tex]V_{xy}=\frac{F dr}{q}-\frac{F dr}{q}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{q}\int^{r_y}_{\infty} F dr-\frac{1}{q}\int^{r_x}_{\infty} F dr[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{q}\int^{r_y}_{r_x} \frac{Qq}{4\pi \epsilon_o r^2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_o }[-\frac{1}{r}]^{r_y}_{r_x}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_o }(\frac{1}{r_x}-\frac{1}{r_y})[/tex]

When it's derived from the definition of electric potentials , the final products are different , or can i say since electric potential is a scalar , so that shouldn't matter ?

thereddevils said:
When it's derived from the definition of electric potentials , the final products are different , or can i say since electric potential is a scalar , so that shouldn't matter ?
You need to calculate the work done per unit charge against the electric force, so you're missing a minus sign in the expression for force. (Signs matter!)

Doc Al said:
You need to calculate the work done per unit charge against the electric force, so you're missing a minus sign in the expression for force. (Signs matter!)

oh , thank you very much sir !

Related to Electric Potential: Derive Expression for Vxy

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to a specific point in the electric field.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force exerted on a unit charge at a given point in an electric field. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in the electric field.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for calculating electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the point charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the potential is being measured.

4. How do you derive the expression for Vxy?

To derive the expression for Vxy, we use the formula V = kQ/r and substitute the values for Q and r. We then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance r as the hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides x and y. The resulting expression is Vxy = kQ/√(x^2+y^2).

5. What are the units for electric potential?

The units for electric potential are volts (V) in the SI system and joules per coulomb (J/C) in the CGS system. It can also be expressed as newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system.