Electric Potential: Dealing with Vectors in Integral Boundaries

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the electric potential for the outside region of a sphere along the z-direction. The formula for the electric field is given as E=\frac{ρR^3}{3ε_{0}z^2}\hat{z} and the integral for the potential is -^{b}_{∞}∫\frac{ρR^3}{3ε_{0}z^2}.dz. The person is confused about how to plug in the vector b in this potential function as it only has one component, z. It is clarified that the vector is not needed as the potential is only dependent on z and not on the direction.
humo90
I am confusing about dealing with the vectors in integral boundaries of the electric potential;
[itex]^{b}_{a}[/itex]∫E.ds where a and b are vectors.
For example, if I would calculate the potential for outside region of a sphere along z-direction, I would use E=[itex]\frac{ρR^3}{3ε_{0}z^2}[/itex][itex]\hat{z}[/itex], and ds=dz[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]
then V(r)=-[itex]^{b}_{∞}[/itex]∫[itex]\frac{ρR^3}{3ε_{0}z^2}[/itex][itex]\hat{z}[/itex].dz[itex]\hat{z}[/itex] = -[itex]^{b}_{∞}[/itex]∫[itex]\frac{ρR^3}{3ε_{0}z^2}[/itex].dz
After evaluating the integral which would be V(r)=[[itex]\frac{ρR^3}{3ε_{0}z}[/itex]][itex]^{b}_{∞}[/itex], say b=b[itex]\hat{z}[/itex], if I plug in b as magnitude the result would be as usual, but if b is vector, then how could I plug it in this potential function? Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you plug the vector in it when you have just one component z. It is not V(r) but V(z), so that the vector is not needed.

Related to Electric Potential: Dealing with Vectors in Integral Boundaries

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field.

How is electric potential related to voltage?

Electric potential and voltage are essentially the same thing, with voltage being the more commonly used term in practical applications. Voltage is the electric potential difference between two points in an electric field.

What are vectors in integral boundaries?

Vectors in integral boundaries refer to the use of vector calculus in calculating the electric potential at a point in an electric field. This involves using mathematical integration over a specific region or boundary to determine the electric potential.

Why is it important to consider vectors in integral boundaries when dealing with electric potential?

Electric fields and potential are vector quantities, meaning they have both magnitude and direction. Considering vectors in integral boundaries allows for a more accurate calculation of electric potential, as it takes into account the direction of the electric field at a given point.

What are some practical applications of understanding electric potential and vectors in integral boundaries?

Understanding electric potential and vectors in integral boundaries is crucial in the design and operation of electrical systems, such as power grids and electronic circuits. It is also important in the study of electromagnetism and in the development of technologies such as electric motors and generators.