Electric potential configuration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a configuration of charges in a cube to create the same field as a point charge equidistant from three planes. The coordinates of the charges are given and the potential at each plane is set to 0. The conversation ends with a suggestion to verify the answer by computing the potential of the configuration and plugging in the constraints.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

Hello:
I was wondering if someone can help with the following:

The xy, xz, yz plane are all at equipotential. A charge Q is placed equidistant from all these planes. So I think the coordinate of this Q would be (d, d, d) given some d. If I wanted to find a configuration that provides the same field as this one, could I imagine a cube with side of 2d and place a charge at each corner. Say I take the potential at each of these planes to be 0.
Would I have a charge Q at (d, d, d)
-Q at (d, -d, d)
Q at (d, -d, -d)
-Q at (d, d, -d)
Q at (-d, -d, d)
-Q at (-d, d, d)
Q at (-d, d, -d)
-Q at (-d, -d, -d)?
I don't think I'd be creating a potential at the origin either? Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have this one down. That should definitely do it.

To make sure your answer is right, you can always just compute the potential of such a configuration and then plug in the constraints for the given planes (x=0, y=0, and z=0) and see that the potential is zero under these conditions.

Thanks!

Related to Electric potential configuration problem

What is an electric potential configuration problem?

An electric potential configuration problem involves finding the distribution of electric potential in a given space, typically caused by one or more electric charges. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with other objects.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a point in space, while electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force exerted on a charged particle at a point in space.

How is an electric potential configuration problem solved?

An electric potential configuration problem can be solved using mathematical equations, such as Coulomb's law and Gauss's law, along with boundary conditions and symmetry considerations. These equations allow us to calculate the electric potential at any point in space.

What are some real-world applications of electric potential configuration problems?

Electric potential configuration problems are used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. They are used to design and analyze electronic circuits, study the behavior of charged particles in accelerators, and understand the properties of materials in electrochemistry.

What are some common challenges in solving electric potential configuration problems?

Some common challenges in solving electric potential configuration problems include complex geometries, non-uniform charge distributions, and the presence of multiple charges. It is also important to consider the effects of conductors and insulators in the given space.