Electric Potential: Calculating Midway Point

In summary, the question is asking for the electric potential at a point midway between two charges of 7.0 microC and 3.0 microC, 3.0 m apart. The electric potential can be calculated by adding the potentials using the equation Va=Va1+-Va2. Since the charges are both positive and the point is halfway between them, the electric potential will be the difference between the two. If calculating electric fields, the directional property must be taken into account.
synergix

Homework Statement

What is the electric potential at the point midway between charges of 7.0 microC and 3.0microC which are 3.0 m apart?

Homework Equations

Va=Va1+-Va2

V= Kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the calculations I am just not sure about how to add the potentials I am pretty sure that since they are both positive and the charge is halfway between them then the electrical potential will be the difference between the two is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
synergix said:

Homework Statement

What is the electric potential at the point midway between charges of 7.0 microC and 3.0microC which are 3.0 m apart?

Homework Equations

Va=Va1+-Va2

V= Kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the calculations I am just not sure about how to add the potentials I am pretty sure that since they are both positive and the charge is halfway between them then the electrical potential will be the difference between the two is that correct?

Your last sentence has a typo in it. You say "the charge is halfway between them" You meant to say "the point is halfway between them" There is a difference between the implications of these two phrases.

Putting that aside, since the electric potential is a scalar (not a vector) you simply add the two potentials as indicated in your first equation. If you were adding up the electric fields, where there is a directional property to take into account because the electric field is represented by a vector then you would end up with a subtraction (in this case).

ahh yes thank you.

Related to Electric Potential: Calculating Midway Point

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electrical potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the amount of charge at a specific point in an electric field.

3. What is the midway point in electric potential?

The midway point in electric potential is the point between two charges where the electric potential is equal.

4. How do you calculate the midway point in electric potential?

To calculate the midway point in electric potential, you can use the equation V = (V1 + V2)/2, where V1 and V2 are the electric potentials at the two charges.

5. Why is calculating the midway point in electric potential important?

Calculating the midway point in electric potential is important because it allows us to determine the point where the electric potential is equal and can help us understand the behavior of charges in an electric field.