Electric potential at the surface of a protien

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the surface potential of a protein sphere in an aqueous solution of 0.05M NaCl at 25 ˚C using the linear approximation to the Poisson-Boltzmann equation. The first question asks for the concentration of Na+ and Cl- ions at the surface and 3 Å from the surface of the protein. The second question involves solving for V, the potential at the surface, in terms of kT/e in order to evaluate the Debye screening length. The conversation ends with a suggestion for a joint paper on the importance of understanding the potential on the surface of protein molecules in the physiology and biophysics of the living cell.
Oijl

Homework Statement

Consider a protein sphere with a radius of 18Å, and charge Q = -10e, in an aqueous solution of c = 0.05M NaCl at 25 ˚C. We consider the small ions as point charges and use the linear approximation to the Poisson-Boltzmann equation.

What is the surface potential of the protein in units kT/e?

ALSO

What is the concentration of Na+ ions and of Cl- ions at the surface and at 3 Å from the surface of the protein?

Homework Equations

An expression for the potential at the surface of a charged sphere (in a salty solution):

V(R) = [1/(4π(epsilon naught)D)]*[Q/R]*[(lambda sub D)/(R+lambda sub D)]

And

lambda sub D = square root of [(D(espsilon naught)kT)/(2(z^2)(e^2)c)]

where lambda sub D is the Debye screening length.ALSO, for the second question,

c+ = ce^(-qV(r)/kT)
c- = ce^(qV(r)/kT)

where q is the charge of the ion.

The Attempt at a Solution

How can I solve for V in terms of kT/e? I'd like to go on with my question, but I have to leave now, so I'll put up this so far, which is my basic question. Thanks.

EDIT:

Attempting the second question, I still need to be able to obtain a numerical value for V, for which I need to be able to evaluate the Debye screening length. I don't know what z is in that, so I can't get a number. What is z? The valency? If so, it's the valency of the ions in the solution, right? So, here, the valency of... Na? Cl?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Oijl,

The task ("Electric potential at the surface of a protien") you are trying to solve is very important for the physiology and biophysics of the living cell. Literature gives molten globules very important role in the cell, however, in order to melt globule need harsh physical conditions. In my last article ("Native aggregation..."), I suggest that such harsh conditions can occur in microvolumes (several protein molecules) of cytoplasm. Your idea of the potential on the surface of the protein may be important to understand the sources of energy needed to melt globules. Perhaps we could write a joint paper. :)
You can download my article from my web-site: http://vladimirmatveev.ru
In any case, it would be interesting to know your opinion.

Last edited:

Related to Electric potential at the surface of a protien

1. What is electric potential at the surface of a protein?

The electric potential at the surface of a protein is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at the surface of the protein. It is a measure of the electrostatic interactions between the protein and its surrounding environment.

2. How is electric potential at the surface of a protein calculated?

Electric potential at the surface of a protein is calculated using the equation V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the protein, and r is the distance from the protein's surface.

3. Why is electric potential at the surface of a protein important?

The electric potential at the surface of a protein plays a crucial role in determining the protein's stability, folding, and interactions with other molecules. It also affects the protein's function and can be used to predict its behavior and interactions with other molecules.

4. How does the electric potential at the surface of a protein affect its interactions with other molecules?

The electric potential at the surface of a protein can attract or repel other charged molecules, depending on their respective charges. This can influence the protein's binding to other molecules and its overall function in the cell.

5. Can the electric potential at the surface of a protein be altered?

Yes, the electric potential at the surface of a protein can be altered by changing the charge of the protein or by changing the surrounding environment's ionic strength. This can be done through mutations or through changes in pH or salt concentration.