Electric potential at point from origin

In summary, the problem involves determining the electric potential at a point in a uniform electric field, given a specific value at the origin. The solution involves finding the potential difference between the two points using the equation \DeltaV=V(x_2, y_2, z_2) - V(x_1, y_1, z_1)= -\intEds and integrating the components of the electric field over the path from the origin to the given point. The resulting potential difference is 3.48 V, but it is unclear if this is the correct answer as the path taken was not specified.
rlaulusa

Homework Statement

In the presence of a uniform electric field, E=-6.0 i + .8 j + 3.42 k N/C, assume that the electric potential is -5V at the origin of the coordinate system, and determine the electric potential at the point 2.7 i -2.7 k.

Here's what I've done so far
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V=V(2.7, 0, -2.7) - V(0, 0, 0,) = [tex]\int[/tex]Eds
=-([tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{2.7}_{0}[/tex]Exdx + [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{0}_{0}[/tex]Eydy + [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{-2.7}_{0}[/tex]Ezdz)
=-([tex]\int[/tex]-6.9dx + [tex]\int[/tex].8dy + [tex]\int[/tex]3.42dx)
=3.48 V

But I don't think this is correct. We did a problem similar to this in class where we had to define the path we were taking, but I wasn't sure how to do that in this problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations \DeltaV=V(x_2, y_2, z_2) - V(x_1, y_1, z_2)= -\intEds The Attempt at a Solution See above

Related to Electric potential at point from origin

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a physical quantity that measures the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the magnitude of the charge at the point in the electric field.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that measures the potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field, while electric field is a vector quantity that measures the force per unit charge at a point in an electric field.

4. How does the distance from the origin affect the electric potential at a point?

The electric potential at a point decreases as the distance from the origin increases, following an inverse square law relationship. This means that the potential decreases four times as much when the distance is doubled.

5. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is the volt (V), which is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C).