Electric potential at certain point from charged sphere

In summary, the electric potential from a sheet of charge is given by V = (σX)/ ε_0 and decreases as you travel away from the sheet. However, the relation is only strictly valid for an infinite sheet.
TheCammen
Let's say I have a sheet of charge that is composed of a certain amount of charged atoms summing up to Q and a certain area A. The charge density would be Q/A = σ. I wish to find the elctrostatic potential from the sheet at point X. I believe that the electric potential should follow the equation:

V = (σX)/ ε_0

However, shouldn't the potential decrease as I travel away from the sheet? If I have a sphere of charge and I travel away from it, then this is the case. Why is this situation different?

EDIT: I meant sheet in the title ofthe post. I just had the sphere idea in my mind at the time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TheCammen,

1. Strictly speaking, the relation is valid for an infinite sheet only .

2. The potential difference between two points , one at X1 and the other at X2 ( X2>X1) is

V=-σ(X2-X1)/ε0 ( pay attention to the minus sign). And as you see the potential does decrease as you travel away from the sheet.

Related to Electric potential at certain point from charged sphere

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated at a certain point from a charged sphere?

The electric potential at a certain point from a charged sphere is calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is directly related to the electric field, with the electric field pointing in the direction of decreasing potential. The electric field is also the negative gradient of the electric potential.

4. Can the electric potential at a point be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at a point can be negative. This indicates that a negative charge would move towards that point in an electric field, while a positive charge would move away from it.

5. How does the electric potential change with distance from a charged sphere?

The electric potential decreases with distance from a charged sphere, following the inverse distance relationship described by the equation V = kQ/r. As the distance increases, the electric potential decreases.