Electric Potential at Center of Uniform Conducting Sphere?

In summary, the potential at the center of the hollow metal sphere is +320 V with a charge of 4.4 x 10-9 C. The electric potential at the surface can be used to find the potential at the center, and the charge enclosed in the center would be the same as the charge given in the question. Additionally, since the sphere is a conductor, all points inside have the same electric potential.
NeedPhysHelp8
A hollow metal sphere has a potential of +320 V with respect to ground (defined to be at V = 0) and has a charge of 4.4 x 10-9 C. Find the electric potential at the center of the sphere.

How do you do this. They don't give the radius which would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Maybe read this link carefully.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gaulaw.html#c2

What kind of surface would you construct in the center and how much charge would be enclosed?

Since you are dealing with a conductor and all points inside are at the same potential how much charge can be in the middle?

Thanks for the link, but I'm still very confused i don't even know where to start at. You said since its a conductor all points inside have the same electric potential so does this mean that i can find the potential at the surface and be right. And would the charge enclosed just be 4.4 X 10-9 C given in the question. I'm not too sure about what surface you're talking about.

NeedPhysHelp8 said:
Thanks for the link, but I'm still very confused i don't even know where to start at. You said since its a conductor all points inside have the same electric potential so does this mean that i can find the potential at the surface and be right. And would the charge enclosed just be 4.4 X 10-9 C given in the question. I'm not too sure about what surface you're talking about.

You have a conductor. So what happens if you put 2 charges together at the center? Will they stay there?

Oh nice i got the answer, i just tried entering the voltage they gave me and its the right answer don't know why though

Related to Electric Potential at Center of Uniform Conducting Sphere?

1. What is the formula for calculating electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere?

The formula for calculating electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere is V = kQ/R, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and R is the radius of the sphere.

2. How does the electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere compare to that of a point charge?

The electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere is the same as that of a point charge with the same magnitude of charge. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is zero, and thus the electric potential is constant throughout the sphere.

3. Can the electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere be negative?

No, the electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere cannot be negative. This is because the electric potential is always positive for a positive charge, and the electric field inside a conductor is zero. Therefore, the electric potential at the center of the sphere must be zero or positive.

4. How does the electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere change if the charge or radius of the sphere is altered?

The electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere is directly proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the radius. This means that if the charge is increased, the electric potential will also increase. And if the radius is increased, the electric potential will decrease.

5. Is the electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere affected by the material of the sphere?

No, the electric potential at the center of a uniform conducting sphere is not affected by the material of the sphere. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is zero, and the electric potential only depends on the charge and radius of the sphere.