Electric Potential at a Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric potential difference at a point 4.0x10-2m away from an alpha particle. It is determined that the alpha particle has a positive charge and the equation V=kq/r is used to find the potential difference. The conversation also touches on the concept of potential energy and clarifies that the zero of potential energy is at infinity. Finally, it is confirmed that the calculation for the potential difference is correct.
xxabr

Homework Statement

Find the electric potential difference at a point 4.0x10-2m away from an alpha particle.

Homework Equations

V= kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

k= 9x109
r= 4.0x10-2

I'm not quite sure how to get this answer considering I don't have any charge and there's nothing that says to use the charge from the previous question...
Help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi xxabr! :smile:

an alpha particle consists of two protons and two neutrons, so it has a positive charge whose magnitude is twice the charge on an electron …

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particle" for more details :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! Okay, thanks (:

So...
V= kq/r
= (9x109)(3.2x10-19)/ (4x10-2)
= 7.2x-8V ?

xxabr said:
V= kq/r
= (9x109)(3.2x10-19)/ (4x10-2)
= 7.2x-8V ?

yup, looks ok! (assuming that the zero of potential energy is at infinity) :smile:

(or is it minus that … i get confused … isn't PE minus kq/r ? :confused:)

Uh... No, I don't think so.
At least my textbook doesn't say that.. :confused:

hi xxabr! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
xxabr said:
Uh... No, I don't think so.
At least my textbook doesn't say that.. :confused:

hmm … let's work this out from scratch …

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=269"

work done is the work bringing a positive test charge from infinity (because that's zero PE) to distance r from a positive charge q …

force is outward (both charges positive), movement is inward, so work done is negative, so PE is positive

yes, you're right! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Electric Potential at a Distance

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the force that drives electric charges to move from one point to another.

2. How is electric potential difference calculated?

Electric potential difference is calculated by dividing the change in electric potential energy by the amount of charge that moves between two points. Mathematically, it is represented as V = ΔPE/q, where V is the potential difference, ΔPE is the change in potential energy, and q is the amount of charge.

3. What is the unit of electric potential difference?

The unit of electric potential difference is volts (V). Other common units that can be used are joules per coulomb (J/C) and newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. How does electric potential difference affect electrical current?

Electric potential difference is directly proportional to the flow of electric current. A higher potential difference will result in a greater flow of current, while a lower potential difference will result in a lower flow of current.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference is used in various everyday devices, such as batteries, power outlets, and electronic circuits. It is also used in larger-scale applications, such as powering homes, buildings, and transportation systems.