Electric potential anyone help

In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between potential difference and electric units, specifically how it applies to circuits and measuring potential across resistors and capacitors. The two ways of defining electric units are through voltage and energy/charge or power/current. The Lorentz force is also mentioned as a way to measure potential using dv=-E.dr.
ahmedhassan72
Please anyone explain that to me as i cannot get it .How to link the potential difference which comes by integration dv=-E.dr like the potential inside and outside a charged sphere and the potential which comes by V=IR in our daily circuits how that comes i know that these are basics but i still want to understand and thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ahmedhassan72! :smile:

there are often two ways of defining electric units :wink:

voltage = energy/charge = work/charge = force"dot"distance/charge = (from the Lorentz force) electric field"dot"distance, or dV = E.dr

but also voltage = energy/charge = (energy/time)/(charge/time) = power/current, or V = W/I :smile:

so how can i apply the dv=-E.dr in circuit to measure a potential across a resistor or capacitor to get to the v=IR ...also what is the lorents force...i got from u that if i have a stright line cylinderical wire and a battery then i can i measure by dv=-E.dr but for easiness i get it by v=IR

Related to Electric potential anyone help

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential refers to the amount of energy needed to move an electric charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit of charge at a certain point in an electric field. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the force per unit of charge at a certain point in an electric field.

3. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the work done in moving an electric charge from one point to another by the amount of charge being moved. This is represented by the equation V = W/q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done, and q is the amount of charge.

4. What are some real-life applications of electric potential?

Electric potential is used in various technologies such as batteries, electric circuits, and power grids. It is also used in medical equipment such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms to measure and monitor the electrical activity of the heart and brain.

5. How does electric potential affect the movement of electrons?

Electric potential creates a force that causes electrons to move from areas of higher potential to areas of lower potential. This movement of electrons is what creates an electric current in a circuit. The greater the difference in electric potential, the greater the force and the faster the electrons will move.