Electric Potential and Kinetic Energy

In summary: I was thinking sqrt(2) would be the answer.Then that's my mistake. I was thinking sqrt(2) would be the answer.
TAMUwbEE

Homework Statement

A charged particle (q = -8.0 mC), which moves in a region where the only force acting on the particle is an electric force, is released from rest at point A. At point B the kinetic energy of the particle is equal to 4.8 J. What is the electric potential difference VB-VA?

Homework Equations

EPE = Delta V (volts) = Delta U (potential energy) / q0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this equation, I came up with the solution of -.6 kV, however, the answer is positive. Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which point do you think is at a higher potential ?

Ahhh. Point VB has higher potential energy, therefore, in the equation VB - VA, it is positive. Thank you for your response.

I also have another question.

A particle (charge = +2.0 mC) moving in a region where only electric forces act on it has a kinetic energy of 5.0 J at point A. The particle subsequently passes through point B which has an electric potential of +1.5 kV relative to point A. Determine the kinetic energy of the particle as it moves through point B.

I'll be honest with you, I do not know where to start with this problem. I know my equations however, I cannot picture the concept of potential energy caused by an electric field in relative to points A and B. If someone could clarify I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Simply , q*ΔV = ΔKE .

Thanks again Qwerty. I must have missed out on that equation when I was copying my notes.

Homework Statement

Identical point charges (+50 μC) are placed at the corners of a square with sides of 2.0-m length. How much external energy is required to bring a fifth identical charge from infinity to the geometric center of the square?

Homework Equations

Electric Potential for Multiple Charges

ΔU = K∑(Qi / Ri)
Therefore,
K(50x10^-6 C) / 2cos(45°) yields 3.17 x 10^5 V.

The Attempt at a Solution

Each point charge by itself has an electric potential of 3.17 x 10^5 V (V is the correct unit, right?).

However, I'm sure I'm doing this wrong because my answer choices are in a completely different magnitude (10^1).

Thanks for the help.

TAMUwbEE said:
ΔU = K∑(Qi / Ri)

ΔU = K∑(Qi*Q/Ri) .

Also , I think you haven't inputted Ri correctly either .

What should the equation be then for all 4 charges?

K(Q1 + Q2 + Q3 + Q4) / 2cos(45)?

Also, what would Ri be then?

Ri equals distance between any charge and the new charge ( Use diagram ) .

KQ(Q1 + Q2 + .. ) .

Likes TAMUwbEE
Qwertywerty said:
ΔU = K∑(Qi*Q/Ri) .

Also , I think you haven't inputted Ri correctly either .
Are you sure? sqrt(2) looks right to me.
TAMUwbEE, I'm not sure whether you have understood Qwertywerty's other point. You calculated 3.17 x 10^5 V (as the potential due to one existing charge). You are asked for an energy, not a potential. That explains the orders of magnitude discrepancy.

Likes TAMUwbEE
haruspex said:
Are you sure? sqrt(2) looks right to me.

Then that's my mistake .

Related to Electric Potential and Kinetic Energy

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of energy required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the amount of energy per unit of charge, whereas electric potential energy is the total energy of a charged particle in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential energy is a vector quantity.

3. What is the equation for electric potential?

The equation for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the amount of charge, and r is the distance from the charged object.

4. How is kinetic energy related to electric potential?

The kinetic energy of a charged particle in an electric field is equal to its electric potential energy. This means that as the electric potential energy increases, so does the kinetic energy of the particle.

5. How is electric potential and kinetic energy used in practical applications?

Electric potential and kinetic energy are used in various practical applications, such as in batteries, electric motors, and generators. They are also important concepts in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electronic devices and circuits.