Electric Potential and Forces in Spherical Raindrop Interactions

In summary: RNow ask yourself, what is the potential at distance R from a point charge q?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spherical raindrop with a charge of Q = 3*10^-11 and a potential of V = 500 V on its surface. The questions involve determining the radius of the drop, calculating the repelling force between two identical raindrops, and finding the potential at the surface of a new raindrop formed by bringing the two raindrops together. The conversation includes discussions on treating the drops as point charges or uniform charge densities and using Gauss's law to solve for the potential and charge of the new raindrop.
broegger
i'm having trouble with this:

A spherical raindrop has a charge Q = 3*10^-11. The potential at the surface is V = 500 V (V = 0 infinitely far away).

a) Determine the radius of the drop.

My first thought was to consider the raindrop as a point charge and then integrate the electric field from this point charge from a distance that equals the unknown radius R to infinity and, finally, equate this to 500 V.. but I'm not sure how to do this or if it's even right...

Another, identical, raindrop is brought in touch with the first one.

b) Determine the magnitude of the repelling force between the raindrops just before they touch each other.

Here, again, I would consider the drops as point charges and then calculate the Coulomb force when the distance between them equals 2R. Can you do that even though the charge distribution is in reality homogenous?

The two raindrops is now brought together and forms a single, spherical raindrop.

c) What is the potential at the surface of this new raindrop?

Here I would integrate the electric field from the 'old' radius to the radius of the new drop and then subtract this from the 500 V.. Again, I have no idea if you can do that...

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by broegger
i'm having trouble with this:

A spherical raindrop has a charge Q = 3*10^-11. The potential at the surface is V = 500 V (V = 0 infinitely far away).

a) Determine the radius of the drop.

My first thought was to consider the raindrop as a point charge and then integrate the electric field from this point charge from a distance that equals the unknown radius R to infinity and, finally, equate this to 500 V.. but I'm not sure how to do this or if it's even right...

I would not assume a point charge. Treat it, rather, as a uniform charge density. That is, since the volume of the sphere is (4/3)πR3, the charge density is (4Q)/(3πR3) and the electric force at distance r from the center is (4Q)/(3πR3r2) Integrate that over the sphere of radius R:
[tex]\frac{4Q}{3\piR^3}\int_{r=0}^R\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}\int_{\phi=0}^{\pi}(\frac{1}{r^2})(r^2 sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta dr [/tex]
(If you have a formula for the field due to a homogeneous sphere of charge at a point insidethe sphere, you can use that instead)

Set that equal to 500V and solve for R.

Another, identical, raindrop is brought in touch with the first one.

b) Determine the magnitude of the repelling force between the raindrops just before they touch each other.

Here, again, I would consider the drops as point charges and then calculate the Coulomb force when the distance between them equals 2R. Can you do that even though the charge distribution is in reality homogenous?
Yes. As long as you are outside a homogeneous sphere, you can treat
the sphere as a point charge

[/b]The two raindrops is now brought together and forms a single, spherical raindrop.

c) What is the potential at the surface of this new raindrop?

Here I would integrate the electric field from the 'old' radius to the radius of the new drop and then subtract this from the 500 V.. Again, I have no idea if you can do that... [/B]

That's not the way I would do it. You can assume that the new drop has twice the volume and twice the charge of the old sphere.
Use V= (4/3)πR3 to determine the radius of the new sphere (it's not twice the radius!) and integrate the force function to find the field. (or, if you have it, use the formula.)

Thanks for answering.

a) You mean solving this equation

[tex] \int_{R}^{\infty} \mathbf{\vec{E}} \bullet d\mathbf{\vec{r}} = \int_{R}^{\infty} \frac{1}{4\pi{}\epsilon_{0}} \frac{Q}{r^2} dr = 500 V [/tex]

with respect to R is wrong. If so, why?

Use Gauss Law to find C = 4 * pi * e0 * R

and of course q = CV

Related to Electric Potential and Forces in Spherical Raindrop Interactions

1) How does electricity flow through a circuit?

Electricity flows through a circuit when electrons move from a high potential (positive) to a low potential (negative) through a conductive material. This movement of electrons creates a current which powers devices connected to the circuit.

2) What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity flows in a cyclical pattern, changing direction periodically. It is typically used in household outlets and powers most appliances. DC (direct current) electricity flows in one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

3) How can I measure the voltage in a circuit?

Voltage can be measured with a voltmeter, a device that is connected to the circuit and measures the potential difference between two points. It is typically measured in volts (V).

4) What are some common safety precautions when working with electricity?

Some common safety precautions when working with electricity include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, turning off the power source before working on a circuit, and using insulated tools. It is also important to never touch live wires and to follow proper wiring and grounding techniques.

5) How does a circuit breaker work?

A circuit breaker is a safety device that is designed to open and break the circuit if the current flowing through it exceeds a certain limit. This helps prevent electrical fires and damage to devices. When the current exceeds the limit, the circuit breaker automatically trips and stops the flow of electricity.