Electric Potential and Electric Energy

In summary: Another way would be to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the difference and then use trigonometry to find the direction. But yes, separating them into components is a valid approach. In summary, we are asked to determine the potential difference Vba and the electric field difference Eb-Ea between two points, a and b, with specific distances from a -2.8μC point charge. Using the given equations and values, we find that the potential difference is 7.269x10-15 V and the electric field difference is 2.027x10-14 N/C. To find the direction of the electric field difference, we can separate the vectors into their X and Y components or use trigon
totallyclone

Homework Statement

Consider point a which is 65 cm noth of a -2.8μC point charge, and point b which is 80 cm west of the charge. Determine (a) Vba=Vb-Va, and (b) Eb-Ea (magnitude and direction)

Homework Equations

k=9x10-9
V=kQ/r
V=kQ(1/rb-1/ra)
E=kQ/r2
E=kQ(1/rb2-1/ra2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Vba=Vb-Va
=kQ(1/rb-1/ra)
=(9x10-9)(-2.8x10-6)(1/0.8-1/0.65)
=7.269x10-15 V

(b) Eb-Ea
=kQ(1/rb2-1/ra2)
=(9x10-9)(-2.8x10-6)(1/0.82-1/0.652)
=2.027x10-14 N/C

I may have mistakes. I wonder if it's right. So I found the magnitude for (b) but I'm not quite sure about the direction (since it has a negative magnitude)? :shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
totallyclone said:
(b) Eb-Ea
=kQ(1/rb2-1/ra2)
=(9x10-9)(-2.8x10-6)(1/0.82-1/0.652)
=2.027x10-14 N/C

I may have mistakes. I wonder if it's right. So I found the magnitude for (b) but I'm not quite sure about the direction (since it has a negative magnitude)? :shy:
Realize that Eb and Ea are vectors. You must subtract them as vectors.

So I have to separate them to their own X and Y components??

totallyclone said:
So I have to separate them to their own X and Y components??
Sure, that's one way of doing it.

Your calculations for (a) and (b) are correct. For the direction of (b), since the magnitude is positive, it means that the electric energy at point b is greater than the electric energy at point a. This indicates that there is a decrease in electric potential energy as you move from point a to point b, meaning that the electric field is pointing towards the negative charge at point a. Therefore, the direction of the electric field at point b is towards the negative charge at point a.

Related to Electric Potential and Electric Energy

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an electric field. It describes how much work is required to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to the point in question, and is measured in volts (V).

2. What is the difference between electric potential and electric energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point, while electric energy is the total amount of potential energy held by a collection of charges. In other words, electric potential is a property of a single point in an electric field, while electric energy is a property of a larger system.

3. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is directly related to electric field through the equation V = Ed, where V is electric potential, E is electric field, and d is distance. This means that the electric potential at a point is equal to the electric field strength multiplied by the distance from a reference point.

4. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy held by a charge at a specific point. Electric potential is a property of the electric field, while electric potential energy is a property of a single charge within the field.

5. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at a specific point. This can be represented by the equation V = U/q, where V is electric potential, U is electric potential energy, and q is charge. It can also be calculated using the equation V = Ed, where E is electric field and d is distance.