Electric potential across a simple circuit

In summary: In that case, the potential before the battery and after the resistor would be equal to V_o, while the potential after the battery and before the resistor would be 0.
chris_0101

Homework Statement

Consider the image and assume that the switch has been open for a long time. Note that the switch is supposed to be between the battery and the resistor on the top straight segment, which is not shown in the image.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Elec_img160.jpg

Also consider the initial electric potential to be V_o

a) What is the electric potential before and after the battery, switch and resistor?
b) What is the potential across the resistor
c) What is the electric potential at all points (i.e before and after the battery, switch and resistor) immediately after the switch is closed?
d) What is the electric potential difference across the resistor immediately after the switch is closed
e) After a long time after the switch has been closed, what is the electric potential at all points and what is the electric potential difference across the resistor?

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's loop law:

ΔV_loop = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having some trouble understanding the concept and I am looking for a second opinion towards my responses toward these question.

a) Since the current is broken, there is no change in electric potential (no voltage drop) therefore, before and after the battery, switch and resistor should all be 0

b) Likewise, the electric potential difference across the resistor should be zero

c) Immediately after the switch is closed, from the battery to the point before the resistor, the electric potential should be equal to V_o. After the resistor to the point back to the battery, the electric potential should be 0

d) The electric potential difference will be -V_o

e) After a long time, there should be no change, therefore the answers should be similar to c and d.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chris_0101 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the image and assume that the switch has been open for a long time. Note that the switch is supposed to be between the battery and the resistor on the top straight segment, which is not shown in the image.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Elec_img160.jpg

Also consider the initial electric potential to be V_o

a) What is the electric potential before and after the battery, switch and resistor?
...snip...

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having some trouble understanding the concept and I am looking for a second opinion towards my responses toward these question.

a) Since the current is broken, there is no change in electric potential (no voltage drop) therefore, before and after the battery, switch and resistor should all be 0
Potential with respect to what? You need to define a reference point with respect to which potential is to be measured (define two points and then determine the potential difference from one to the other). What's your point of reference for the above? Perhaps it's the bottom (negative terminal) of the battery?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Electric potential across a simple circuit

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential difference?

Electric potential is a property of a single point in an electric field, while electric potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two different points in an electric field. Electric potential difference is also known as voltage.

3. How is electric potential calculated?

The electric potential at a point in an electric field can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy at that point by the amount of charge present at that point. The formula is V = U/Q, where V is electric potential, U is electric potential energy, and Q is charge.

4. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V), named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

5. How is electric potential measured in a simple circuit?

In a simple circuit, electric potential can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel with the component or components being measured, and it measures the voltage difference between two points in the circuit.