Electric motor temperature sensor locations

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a brushless motor for an electric vehicle with temperature sensing capabilities. The issue of adding a temperature sensor on the neodymium magnets in the rotor is raised, with concerns about the effect of electromagnetic fields on the readings. It is suggested that temperature sensors are typically placed in the windings, rather than on the stator or rotor, and that compensation for magnetic fields is not necessary when using thermocouple sensors. The question of whether the permanent magnets generate significant heat during normal operation is also mentioned.
geneiusxie
Hi guys,

I'm trying to design a brushless motor for an EV with temperature sensing for both the copper coils in the stator and the permanent magnets in the rotor, but I'm not sure how to add a temperature sensor on the neodymium magnets in the rotor. Wouldn't the high levels of varying electromagnetic fields throw the readings off? Or would the system have to compensate for that somehow, e.g., using a low pass filter?

Of course, the bigger question would be whether the permanent magnets ever generate significant (if any) heat during normal operation anyway. :)

-Gene

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know about the neodymium magnets. But I once worked for an AC induction motor manufacturer, and for lab testing, the temperature sensors were always placed in the windings. That's where the most heat is generated. I don't recall sensors being placed on the stator or rotor. We used thermocouple temperature sensors and compensation for magnetic fields was not required.

Related to Electric motor temperature sensor locations

1. Where should I place the temperature sensor on an electric motor?

The ideal location for a temperature sensor on an electric motor is typically on the motor windings. This will provide the most accurate reading of the motor's internal temperature. However, if that is not possible, a good alternative location is on the motor's surface, close to the windings. It is important to avoid placing the sensor near any cooling fans or vents, as this can affect the accuracy of the temperature reading.

2. How many temperature sensors do I need on an electric motor?

The number of temperature sensors needed on an electric motor depends on the size and complexity of the motor. Generally, it is recommended to have at least one sensor for every 10 horsepower of the motor. However, for larger and more critical motors, multiple sensors may be needed to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the motor's temperature distribution.

3. Can I use a standard temperature sensor for an electric motor?

No, it is not recommended to use a standard temperature sensor for an electric motor. Electric motors operate at higher temperatures and have more rapid temperature changes compared to other equipment. Therefore, it is important to use a temperature sensor specifically designed for electric motors, which can accurately measure and withstand these conditions.

4. How often should I monitor the temperature of an electric motor?

The frequency of temperature monitoring for an electric motor depends on its usage and operating conditions. In general, it is recommended to monitor the temperature at least once a day for critical motors and once a month for non-critical motors. However, if the motor is operating under extreme conditions or is in constant use, more frequent monitoring may be necessary.

5. What is the recommended temperature range for an electric motor?

The recommended temperature range for an electric motor is typically between 40°C to 60°C (104°F to 140°F). However, this may vary depending on the motor's design and application. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for the specific motor to determine the ideal temperature range for proper operation and longevity.