Electric Motor and Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a certain electric motor with a flat rectangular coil rotor that rotates in a uniform magnetic field. The maximum torque and peak power output of the motor are calculated, along with the amount of work performed by the magnetic field on the rotor and the average power of the motor. The formula for determining the amount of work done on the rotor is 4NIAB, where N is the number of loops, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, and B is the magnetic field.
MJC8719
The rotor in a certain electric motor is a flat, rectangular coil with 90 turns of wire and dimensions 2.50 cm by 4.00 cm. The rotor rotates in a uniform magnetic field of 0.800 T. When the plane of the rotor is perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field, it carries a current of 9.1 mA. In this orientation, the magnetic moment of the rotor is directed opposite the magnetic field. The rotor then turns through one-half revolution. This process is repeated to cause the rotor to turn steadily at 3600 rev/min.

(a) Find the maximum torque (max) acting on the rotor.
Nm
(b) Find the peak power output (max) of the motor.
W
(c) Determine the amount of work (W) performed by the magnetic field on the rotor in every full revolution.
J
(d) What is the average power (avg) of the motor?

I cannot figure out the answer to part D.

I know for part A that the torque would equal = (90)(9.1x10-3A)(0.025mx0.04m)(0.800T) = 6.553e-4

Then for part B, it equals the answer to A x 2pi(60) = 0.247W

Then part C is given by 4(9.1 x 10-3A)(90)(0.025mx0.04m) = 0.00262J

For part D, I thought it would equal part C/(3600/60) ie you know the total work in Joules for a full revolution and now want to divide it by the number of revolutions per second (3600/60)...when I do this on my calculator, I get an answer of 4.3666e-5

The online web program is telling me that I am off by orders of magnitude...but I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
if c is the amount of work done on the rotor and the amount of work the rotor does per rev and it does 3600rev/min why is it not C * 3600/60, if that is correct then your answer is off by two orders of magnitude

Then part C is given by 4(9.1 x 10-3A)(90)(0.025mx0.04m) = 0.00262J

Can you explain why this part is:

4NIAB

Where
N = number of loops
I = Current
A = Area of Loop
B = Magnetic Field. Thanks.

I am not sure where the 4 comes from in part C. Everything else, however, makes sense.

Related to Electric Motor and Magnetic Field

What is an electric motor?

An electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It uses the interaction between an electric current and a magnetic field to produce rotational motion.

How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current is passed through a wire in the presence of a magnetic field, a force is exerted on the wire, causing it to move. This movement is then used to rotate a shaft and produce mechanical energy.

What is the role of a magnetic field in an electric motor?

The magnetic field in an electric motor plays a crucial role in its operation. It is responsible for creating the force that causes the motor to rotate. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can be controlled to change the speed and direction of the motor.

What are the components of an electric motor?

The main components of an electric motor include a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part). The stator contains the magnetic field and the rotor carries the electric current. Other important components include the commutator, brushes, and bearings.

What are the applications of electric motors?

Electric motors have a wide range of applications in various industries, including transportation (electric cars, trains, and bikes), household appliances (washing machines, refrigerators, and fans), industrial machinery, and robotics. They are also used in renewable energy systems such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators.