Electric, magnetic fields and induced currents

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, particularly in regards to induced current and the steps involved in the process. It also touches on the misconception that changing fields always produce constant fields and the need for further clarification on this topic.
Wston
Hi,

I've been trying to figure several simple things about electric and magnetic fields, their relationship with current.
If you could please help me understanding this, it would be really helpful.

From what I've read these were presented as natural laws:
1. Changing magnetic field induces current in a conductor, causes electrons to move in other words.
2. Changing magnetic field creates changing electric field.
3. Changing electric field creates changing magnetic field.

Got several questions. One question is, does changing magnetic field induce current (move electrons) by first creating changing electric field ? I am trying to figure out if there are 2 or 3 steps in the process.

(1)Changing magnetic field -> (2)changing electric field -> (3)moving electrons
or is it
(1)Changing magnetic field -> (2)moving electrons ?

I can think of first option with 3 steps (changing magnetic field->electric field->current) as electric field exerting forces on charges (electrons), hence their movement. On the other hand if there are only 2 steps (changing magnetic field->current), how does that work...because for charges to move there must be an electric field, what causes charges to move otherwise ? individual magnetic fields of electrons ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wston said:
1. Changing magnetic field induces current in a conductor, causes electrons to move in other words.
2. Changing magnetic field creates changing electric field.
3. Changing electric field creates changing magnetic field.

1 is correct, but 2 and 3 are not entirely correct. A changing magnetic field can produce either a static or dynamic (changing) magnetic field. If the rate of change of the magnetic field is constant, then the electric field produced is constant. Otherwise the electric field created is not constant. The same is true for a changing electric field. The induced magnetic field can be either static or dynamic.

Wston said:
Got several questions. One question is, does changing magnetic field induce current (move electrons) by first creating changing electric field ? I am trying to figure out if there are 2 or 3 steps in the process.

or is it

I'm not certain. I've only gone through a basic E&M class, so I don't have the knowledge to answer this. I think the changing magnetic field induces an electric field, which then exerts a force on the charged particles, but like I said I'm not certain.

Thanks a lot for the answer, that's an interesting detail I misunderstood about changing fields producing constant one if the rate of change is constant.

Hope the thread will generate more answers regarding this too:

or is it

I've been trying to find information online and wasn't able to so far. It seems like a simple detail, but it's not being specified in many online materials I've found.

Last edited:

Related to Electric, magnetic fields and induced currents

1. What are electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are physical phenomena that occur when charged particles, such as electrons, are in motion. These fields are generated by the movement of charged particles and can exert a force on other charged particles in their vicinity.

2. How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are often referred to as electromagnetic fields. This is because a changing electric field will produce a magnetic field and a changing magnetic field will produce an electric field. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

3. What is induction and how does it relate to electric and magnetic fields?

Induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. This is due to the movement of charged particles in the conductor in response to the changing magnetic field. This relationship is described by Faraday's law.

4. How do electric and magnetic fields affect living organisms?

There is ongoing research into the potential health effects of exposure to electric and magnetic fields. Some studies suggest that long-term exposure to high levels of these fields may have negative health effects, but more research is needed to fully understand the impact on living organisms.

5. How are electric and magnetic fields used in technology?

Electric and magnetic fields are essential in many modern technologies, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. They are also used in wireless communication, such as cell phones and radio transmissions. Understanding and controlling these fields is crucial for advancements in technology.