Speed of electron after collision with Photon

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the scattering of X-rays from Palladium and the use of DeBroglie's formula to calculate momentum. The concept of momentum conservation is also mentioned, and the speaker is seeking clarification on the calculation process.
dcl
Heya's..

Im stuck on the following question and I can't seem to arrive at the answer at the back of the book.

X-Rays from Palladium with a wavelength of 0.0590 nm, are scattered backwards from collisions with electrons. The X-Rays that return along their original path have a wave length of 0.0639nm.

I've used DeBroglies formula to calculate the momentum of the incoming and outgoing photons. But I'm not reallty sure what to do at this stage.. Any help would be wonderful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you know the change in momentum of the photons and you know that momentum is conserved in this collision. Any momentum the photons have lost is gained by the electrons.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Okay, you know the change in momentum of the photons and you know that momentum is conserved in this collision. Any momentum the photons have lost is gained by the electrons.

Hmm
So basically the Momentum of the Incoming Photon is equal to the Momentum of the outgoing photon PLUS the momentum of the electron??

and then i just solve for the electrons velocity..

I could have swore I did a calculation like this..
Perhaps its wrong.. or it could be a mistake in the answer book or something.

1. What is the speed of an electron after a collision with a photon?

The speed of an electron after a collision with a photon depends on the energy of the photon and the properties of the material the electron is traveling through. In most cases, the electron will experience a slight decrease in speed due to the absorption of energy from the photon.

2. How does the speed of an electron change after a collision with a photon?

The speed of an electron will decrease after a collision with a photon due to the absorption of energy from the photon. However, the amount of decrease is dependent on the energy of the photon and the properties of the material the electron is traveling through.

3. What factors influence the speed of an electron after a collision with a photon?

The speed of an electron after a collision with a photon is primarily influenced by the energy of the photon and the properties of the material the electron is traveling through. Other factors such as the angle of collision, temperature, and external forces may also play a role.

4. Can the speed of an electron after a collision with a photon be faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of an electron cannot exceed the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

5. How does the speed of an electron after a collision with a photon relate to the concept of energy conservation?

The decrease in speed of an electron after a collision with a photon is due to the conservation of energy. The energy of the photon is transferred to the electron, resulting in a decrease in the photon's energy and an increase in the electron's energy. This maintains the overall energy balance in the system.