Electric Forces and Field HELP

In summary, a sphere with charge C in the center and three +q charges on the surrounding area will have a net electric field at point P on the outer surface of the sphere. The solid conductor will shield any charge inside from an outside electric field, but point P is not shielded from the +q charges. The net electric field at point P will depend on the arrangement of the +q charges, with some arrangements resulting in a zero net field. Inside the conductor, the electric field is zero unless there is a charge present.
kiplings01

Homework Statement

While studying for ap physicsb, i came across this question and I'm so confused!

There's a sphere with CHarge C in the center of the sphere, and Point P on the surface of the sphere. There are three separate charges +q on the surrounding area.. The question is what affects the electric field on P?
-by the surrounding positive charges?
-the center of the sphere? etc

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that electric field and charge of P would be affected by everything (+q AND C) because don't everything "emit" some Electric field on their surroundings. However, reading my textbook i find this "Conductor shields any charge within from electric field created outside the conductor...and E=0 conductor"

please help me on electric field and charges! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that the three +q charges are at arbitrary locations outside the sphere, right? And point P is on the outside surface of the sphere?

OK, the general rule is that the solid conductor will shield anything inside its surface from an outside electric field. But if P is on the outer surface, then it is not shielded from the 3 +q charges. Depending on the arrangement of those 3 charges, the net affect will be varied, including one (maybe two) very specific arrangements that will cause the net field to be zero. Other than that, there will be a net electric field at point P due to those charges.

E=0 inside a conductor unless there is a charge in the space inside the conductor. If point P is on the inner surface of the sphere, then the electric field will only be due to C.

Thank you so much! You cleared up a lot!

Related to Electric Forces and Field HELP

1. What is an electric force?

The electric force is a fundamental force of nature that results from the interaction between charged particles. It can be attractive or repulsive, depending on the types of charges involved.

2. How is the strength of an electric force determined?

The strength of an electric force between two charged particles is determined by their respective charges and the distance between them. The greater the charges and the closer the particles are, the stronger the force will be.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged particle or group of charged particles where the force of the electric field can act on other charged particles. It is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the field.

4. How is an electric field different from an electric force?

An electric field is a property of space, while an electric force is the actual interaction between two charged particles. The electric field is what causes the electric force to act on a charged particle within its influence.

5. How are electric fields and magnetic fields related?

Electric fields and magnetic fields are both components of the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. They are related through Maxwell's equations, which describe the interplay between electric and magnetic fields and how they can generate each other.