Electric forces and Electric fields question on x and y components

In summary, the conversation is about an individual seeking clarification on the use of cosine and sine for x and y components in a physics problem. The responder explains that the definitions of sin and cos should be used to identify the components, rather than assuming that x always refers to horizontal and y always refers to vertical.
mattmro

Homework Statement

please see the pictures!

Homework Equations

F=k(q1)(q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, I am just curious as to why t cos theta and mg are x components when they are clearly on the y axix!
I thought you used cos for x components and sin for y components

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 466
  • ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
guys I know I am a DA, i barely got by in physics I and I was able to get by without knowing how to do these type of problems, now I can't please help!

The cosine of theta is the adjacent side of the triangle divided by the hypotenuse. With theta defined to be where it is in this problem, T cos theta is the vertical component of the tension.

mattmro said:
okay, I am just curious as to why t cos theta and mg are x components when they are clearly on the y axix!
I thought you used cos for x components and sin for y components
Where is it written that they are on X axis ... looks on Y to me
Maybe they took X as Y and Y as X

mikelepore said:
The cosine of theta is the adjacent side of the triangle divided by the hypotenuse. With theta defined to be where it is in this problem, T cos theta is the vertical component of the tension.
OP's asking why the vertical component is called X component
read question again

cupid.callin said:
OP's asking why the vertical component is called X component
read question again

I already read the question and the images about ten times before answering. It sounds to me like a teacher may have pounded it into the student's head that x means horizontal and then always take the cos, y means vertical and then always take the sin. I have heard some teachers say that, although it is wrong. The cure for the confusion is to identify the triangle and remember the "sohcahtoa" definitions of sin and cos.

Related to Electric forces and Electric fields question on x and y components

1. What is an electric force?

An electric force is a type of force that exists between two charged particles. It can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the particles. The strength of the electric force is determined by the amount of charge on the particles and their distance from each other.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged particle or group of particles where an electric force can be felt. It is created by the presence of electric charges and can be represented by electric field lines. The direction of the electric field is defined as the direction a positive test charge would move if placed in the field.

3. How do I calculate the x and y components of an electric force?

To calculate the x and y components of an electric force, you can use the formula Fx = Fcosθ and Fy = Fsinθ, where θ is the angle between the direction of the force vector and the x-axis. Alternatively, you can use vector addition to find the components using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

4. What is the relationship between electric forces and electric fields?

Electric fields and electric forces are closely related. Electric forces are the result of electric fields, and the strength of the electric force at a certain point is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field at that point. Additionally, the direction of the electric force is always parallel to the electric field lines.

5. How does distance affect the strength of an electric force?

The strength of an electric force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged particles. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the electric force between them decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse square law and is also applicable to electric fields.