Electric Forces and Coulomb's Law Problem

In summary, to determine the magnitude of Q0 when the net electrostatic force on charge Q2 is zero, we can use the formula F = (k*q1*q2)/d^2 and set Fnetx and Fnety for Q2 equal to each other. After some algebra, we can solve for Q0 using the distance between q1 and q2 and the distance between q0 and q2.
Cisneros778

Homework Statement

In the figure, the net electrostatic force on charge Q2 is zero. If Q1 = -5 nC and Q2 = +7 nC, determine the magnitude of Q0.
http://www.webassign.net/bauerphys1/21-p-079-alt.gif

Homework Equations

F = (k*q1*q2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I notice that Fnetx and Fnety for Q2 are the same.
So I write,
Fq1*cos(theta) + Fq1 sin(theta) - Fq0(.707) = 0
k*q1*q2/d^2*(cos(theta) + sin(theta)) = k*q2*q0/x^2*(.707)
then after some algebra I get,
[q1*x^2*(cos(theta) + sin(theta))]/(d^2*.707) = Q0

I am questioning my method here, but this is what I have done so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, d is the distance between q1 and q2
x is the distance between q0 and q2

It's funny how when I'm writing how I attempted the solution I get a moment of clarity and I figure out the problem. Thanks anyways, I got it!

Related to Electric Forces and Coulomb's Law Problem

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between electric charges. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to electric forces?

Coulomb's Law is directly related to electric forces because it quantitatively describes the strength of the force between two electrically charged particles. It helps us understand how electric charges interact with each other and how they can attract or repel each other.

3. What is the unit of electric force?

The unit of electric force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. This unit is used to measure the strength of the force between two charges in Coulomb's Law.

4. How does distance affect the strength of electric forces?

According to Coulomb's Law, the strength of the electric force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charges increases, the force between them decreases.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to all types of electric charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to all types of electric charges, whether they are positive or negative. It describes the force between any two point charges, regardless of their magnitude or sign.