Electric force between objects that are in brief contact

In summary, two small charged objects, each with a mass and volume, are brought into brief contact with each other. The initial charges on the two objects are -3.00 x10^-6 and -1.50 x10^-6. After being separated to a distance of 0.500m, the electric force between the objects is 1.82 x10^1 N. This calculation is done using the formula F=KQ1Q2/r^2, where K is a constant and r is the distance between the two objects. The objects are assumed to be conductors, causing a transfer of charge when brought into contact.
Jabababa

Homework Statement

Two small charged objects of the same mass and volume are brought into brief contact with each other. If the initial charges on the two objects are -3.00 x10^-6 and -1.50 x10^-6, what is the electric force between the objects when they are separated to a distance of 0.500m after contact?

The answer is 1.82 x10^1 N

Homework Equations

F=KQ1Q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it is just plug in the numbers but i get a different answer. So is there anything that goes on when they are in contact?

F= (9.0x10^9)(-3.00x10^-6)(-1.50x10^-6)/(0.500)^2
=0.162N

Physics news on Phys.org
The important thing here is that they are brought into contact first.
What changes does that cause?

im not really sure...

umm their initial distance? Or it will have to be something to do with their charge (transfer of electro maybe)?

I think the objects you have are conductors?? What happens in this case?? And anyway are you sure the result is not 1.82x10^(-1)?? (you put 10^1)...

I think the objects you have are conductors??
I think you have to assume they're conductors, since it gives the right answer :)

And anyway are you sure the result is not 1.82x10^(-1)??
Yes - this is the answer I got.

Jabababa - When you put two unequally charged conductors in contact, what happens to the charges on them?

ap123 said:
I think you have to assume they're conductors, since it gives the right answer :)

Just as I thought :smile:

Related to Electric force between objects that are in brief contact

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a type of force that occurs between two objects that have an electrical charge. It is an attractive or repulsive force that is caused by the interaction of electric fields.

2. How does electric force change when objects are in brief contact?

When objects are in brief contact, the electric force between them decreases because their respective charges become more evenly distributed. This reduces the strength of the electric field and thus the force between the objects.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric force between objects in brief contact?

The strength of the electric force between objects in brief contact is affected by the amount of charge on each object, the distance between them, and the permittivity of the medium between them.

4. Can the electric force between objects in brief contact be attractive and repulsive?

Yes, the electric force between objects in brief contact can be either attractive or repulsive. It depends on the charges of the objects involved.

5. How is the electric force between objects in brief contact calculated?

The electric force between objects in brief contact is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.