Electric Force Between +2.8 µC & -4.8 µC: Calculate Now

• Thread starter gotpink74
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, when two balls with charges of +2.8 µC and -4.8 µC are separated by a distance of 4.5 cm, the electric force between them can be calculated using the equation F=k*Q1*Q2/r^2, where k is 9*10^9. The magnitude of the force is approximately 59.7 N. This value may vary slightly depending on the rounding used in calculations.
gotpink74

Homework Statement

What is the electric force between a glass ball that has +2.8 µC of charge and a rubber ball that has -4.8 µC of charge when they are separated by a distance of 4.5 cm?

Homework Equations

F=k*Q1*Q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

4.4380e12

Physics news on Phys.org
is K 9*10^9

gotpink74 said:
is K 9*10^9

Yes.

i got -59.7333 but it is still wrong i do not know what i am doing wrong

gotpink74 said:
i got -59.7333 but it is still wrong i do not know what i am doing wrong
Please show your work.

(9*10^9)*(2.8*10^(-6))*(-4.8*10^(-6))/0.045^2

Are you using UTexas Quest? If so, does it give you a value for k? The rounding difference might make your answer a bit off.

Usually they just want the magnitude of the force for this type of question. Try without the minus sign, otherwise it looks good to me. You should probably not go more precise than 3 significant figures too.

Related to Electric Force Between +2.8 µC & -4.8 µC: Calculate Now

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric force between two charges?

The formula for calculating electric force, also known as Coulomb's Law, is F = k(q1q2) / d2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and d is the distance between the two charges.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electric force between two charges?

The direction of the electric force is determined by the nature of the charges. Like charges (both positive or both negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (one positive and one negative) will attract each other.

3. What is the value of the electric force between +2.8 µC and -4.8 µC?

The value of the electric force can be calculated using the formula F = k(q1q2) / d2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 109 Nm2/C2), q1 is +2.8 µC, q2 is -4.8 µC, and d is the distance between the two charges. The distance must be given in meters.

4. Is the electric force between +2.8 µC and -4.8 µC attractive or repulsive?

The electric force between +2.8 µC and -4.8 µC is attractive because the two charges have opposite signs.

5. How does the magnitude of the electric force change as the distance between the two charges increases?

The magnitude of the electric force decreases as the distance between the two charges increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance (F ∝ 1/d2). As the distance increases, the force decreases exponentially.