Electric Force and Superposition...Help

In summary, two equal positive charges, both q = 2.0 × 10−6 C, and a third charge, Q = 4.0 × 10−6 C, interact with each other. The magnitude of the electric force on Q can be found by calculating the X and Y components of each vector towards Q, taking into account the appropriate signs. The resulting values are 0.23N for the X component and 0.17N for the Y component.
Amaliahch

Homework Statement

Two equal positive charges, both q = 2.0 × 10−6 C, interact with a third charge, Q = 4.0 × 10−6 C, as shown in the figure above. What is the magnitude of the electric force on Q? (kC = 8.99 × 109 N•m2/C2)
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 5.22.23 PM.png

Homework Equations

I'm confused about assigning signs when I get to the part of finding the X and Y components of each vector towards Q
I don't know if the values for the components I found are correctly signed... I believe are all positive

The Attempt at a Solution

I find that the magnitude of both vectors since they are the same is O.29N
The X component of one vector is 0.23N and the Y component is 0.17N I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amaliahch said:
I'm confused about assigning signs when I get to the part of finding the X and Y components of each vector towards Q
I don't know if the values for the components I found are correctly signed... I believe are all positive
It can help if you sketch in the force vectors on your diagram. Both of the 'q' charges will produce a force vector on the 'Q' charge. If you examine the vectors that you sketch then you should be able to tell from them the appropriate signs of their components.

I did but according to my sketch all four would be positive. I'm doing something wrong I'm not sure what it is because one of them is supposed to be negative, one of the y components

Can you post your diagram with the force vectors?

this is what i drew
IMG_0201.JPG

Okay. So looking at your two force vectors I see one pointing into quadrant 1 and the other into quadrant 4. You should be able to assign the signs of the vector components just by looking at the diagram. Take a close look at the y-components...

So it would be like this?
Q2 going to Q both components would be positive
Q1 going to Q the X component would be positive (cosine is positive in the 4th quadrant) and Y component would be negative( sine is negative in the 4th quadrant)

Amaliahch said:
So it would be like this?
Q2 going to Q both components would be positive
Q1 going to Q the X component would be positive (cosine is positive in the 4th quadrant) and Y component would be negative( sine is negative in the 4th quadrant)
Yup.

Thank you!

Related to Electric Force and Superposition...Help

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields generated by these particles.

2. How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is superposition in relation to electric force?

Superposition is the principle that states that the total force on a charged particle is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on it from other charged particles. This means that the electric force is cumulative and can be calculated by adding together the forces from each individual charged particle.

4. How does distance affect electric force?

According to Coulomb's law, the electric force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charged particles increases, the force between them decreases.

5. What is the difference between electric force and gravitational force?

Electric force and gravitational force are both fundamental forces of nature, but they act on different types of particles. Electric force is caused by the interaction of charged particles, while gravitational force is caused by the interaction of particles with mass. Additionally, electric force can be attractive or repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.