Electric Force and Field Strength Problem

In summary, there are three charges located on a coordinate plane, with Charge #1 being 5 nC at (0,0), Charge #2 being -3.0 nC at (0,-0.10), and Charge #3 being 6.0 nC at (-3,0). To find the net force on the charge at the origin, we can use the formula F = q1*q2/(4*pi*epsilon0*r^2). The direction of the force can be determined by drawing a diagram and using arrows to show the direction of the forces on the charge at the origin. To find the electric field strength at the origin, we can use the formula E = k*q/r^2, where
reinajonas
Three charges are located on a coordinate plane scaled off in meters. Charge #1 is 5 nC and located at (0,0). Charge #2 is -3.0 nC and located at (0,-.10). Charge #3 is 6.0 nC and is located at (-3,0).
a) What is the net force (magnitude and direction) on the charge at the origin?
b) What is the electric field strength om the charge at the origin?

I have many ideas as to how I could start this but I'm not quite sure... I think I'm over thinking it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I remember don't you have to use:
[tex]F=\frac{q_{1}q_{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}r^{2}}[/tex]

For a?

The best way to start is by drawing a diagram showing all the charges.
Then draw arrows showing the direction of the forces on the charge at the origin.

Related to Electric Force and Field Strength Problem

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields, which are created by charged particles.

2. How is electric force measured?

Electric force can be measured using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of electric force?

The unit of electric force is Newtons (N), which is the same unit used to measure other types of forces such as weight and tension.

4. What is the difference between electric force and electric field strength?

Electric force is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force between two charged particles. On the other hand, electric field strength is a scalar quantity that describes the strength of the electric field at a specific point in space.

5. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the electric force between them?

The electric force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the force decreases as the distance between the particles increases, and increases as the distance decreases.