Electric flux through the earth

In summary, the Earth's radius is 6370 km and there is a downward-pointing electric field of average magnitude 140 N/C in the atmosphere above its surface. The question asks for the flux of the electric field out of the Earth and the charge on the Earth. Using the equation \Phi=\vec{E}\bulletA, the attempted solution was to plug in the area of the sphere, resulting in a value of 7.13x10^16 N*m^2/C. However, this may be incorrect as flux can be negative or positive and the question specifically asks for the flux out of the Earth. More clarification is needed on how to properly use integration in a problem like this.
sashab

Homework Statement

The Earth's radius is 6370 km . There is a downward-pointing electric field in the atmosphere above the Earth's surface, of average magnitude 140. N/C .

a) What is the flux of the electric field out of the Earth?
b) What is the charge on the Earth?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi[/itex]=[itex]\vec{E}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex]A

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that this would be a simple problem of the electric flux through a sphere, so I thought if I used the above equation and by plugging in the area of the sphere I would get the right answer for a), but the computer is saying I'm incorrect. :( I got an answer of 7.13x10^16 N*m^2/C. I know that flux involves integration, but I'm only just starting to learn it so I don't know how to use integration in a problem like this yet. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sashab said:

Homework Statement

The Earth's radius is 6370 km . There is a downward-pointing electric field in the atmosphere above the Earth's surface, of average magnitude 140. N/C .

a) What is the flux of the electric field out of the Earth?
b) What is the charge on the Earth?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi[/itex]=[itex]\vec{E}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex]A

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that this would be a simple problem of the electric flux through a sphere, so I thought if I used the above equation and by plugging in the area of the sphere I would get the right answer for a), but the computer is saying I'm incorrect. :( I got an answer of 7.13x10^16 N*m^2/C. I know that flux involves integration, but I'm only just starting to learn it so I don't know how to use integration in a problem like this yet. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

That's a good try. Though you should say how you got it. The thing you might be missing is that flux can be either negative or positive. The question is asking for the flux "out of the Earth".

Dick said:
That's a good try. Though you should say how you got it. The thing you might be missing is that flux can be either negative or positive. The question is asking for the flux "out of the Earth".
Ohh okay I see where I went wrong. Thanks for the help!

Related to Electric flux through the earth

1. What is electric flux through the earth?

Electric flux through the earth is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given area on the surface of the earth. It is a calculation of the total number of electric field lines that pass through a surface.

2. How is electric flux through the earth calculated?

The electric flux through the earth is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the area of the surface that the field passes through, and then taking the cosine of the angle between the electric field and the surface normal.

3. What factors affect the electric flux through the earth?

The electric flux through the earth is affected by the strength of the electric field, the area of the surface, and the angle between the electric field and the surface normal. It is also affected by the distance between the source of the electric field and the surface, as well as the dielectric constant of the medium through which the field passes.

4. Why is electric flux through the earth important?

The electric flux through the earth is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and their impact on the earth's surface. It is also used in various scientific and engineering applications, such as in the design of electrical systems and in measuring the strength of electric fields.

5. How does the electric flux through the earth change over time?

The electric flux through the earth can change over time due to changes in the strength of the electric field, the area of the surface, and the angle between the field and the surface normal. It can also be affected by changes in the earth's magnetic field and the presence of conductive materials in the earth's crust.