Electric flux leaving a sphere

In summary, the electric flux density is 5(r − 3)3 ar C/m2 at r = 4. The volume charge density is 17.5 C/m3.
ViolentCorpse

Homework Statement

Within the spherical shell, 3 < r < 4 m, the electric flux density is given as D = 5(r − 3)3 ar C/m2
a) What is the volume charge density at r = 4?
b) How much electric flux leaves the sphere r = 4?

Homework Equations

ρv=Div D
Electric flux = ∫sD.ds=∫vρvdv

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answer for part a which is 17.5 C/m3. My confusion is in part b. I'm only getting the correct answer by using Electric flux = ∫sD.ds. Multiplying volume charge density by the volume of the sphere gives me the wrong answer and I don't understand why.

Please help me figure out my mistake.

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is question b formulated as if it's a sphere of radius 4? Is that correct, or do you still use the volume of a spherical shell?

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I didn't get you..

Within the spherical shell, 3 < r < 4 m, the electric flux density is given as D = 5(r − 3)3 ar C/m2
a) What is the volume charge density at r = 4?

Here you have a spherical shell

b) How much electric flux leaves the sphere r = 4?

Here it is a sphere of radius 4

So are they just using sphere to shorten it, or is it an entirely new geometrical object? That is what I was wondering. I was just puzzled by that formulation.

But as I can see, you are using the correct formula, I don't know why those 2 don't give the same result. I didn't try to do the actual calculations though.

Oh, I see. I used the volume of the sphere i.e (4/3)*pi*r3

What changes should I make if I assume they're talking about a spherical shell and want to find the volume of a spherical shell?

Thanks

You take the volume of the outer sphere minus that of the inner, which gives you that of the shell.

So you still have the same surface area, which should explain why your formulas for the electric flux don't add up.

Likes 1 person
Okay I tried evaluating the volume integral from r=3 to r=4 and the answers still don't match.

Anyway, I appreciate your help, hjelmgart. Thanks a lot! :)

Related to Electric flux leaving a sphere

1. What is electric flux leaving a sphere?

Electric flux leaving a sphere refers to the amount of electric field passing through the surface of a sphere. It is a measure of the number of electric field lines that originate from or terminate on the surface of the sphere.

2. How is electric flux leaving a sphere calculated?

Electric flux leaving a sphere is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength at the surface of the sphere by the surface area of the sphere. Mathematically, it can be expressed as Φ = E x A, where Φ is electric flux, E is electric field strength, and A is surface area.

3. What is the unit of electric flux leaving a sphere?

The unit of electric flux leaving a sphere is Newton-meter squared per Coulomb (N*m^2/C). This unit is also known as the volt-meter (V*m) or the Weber (Wb).

4. How does the size of the sphere affect the electric flux leaving it?

The size of the sphere does not affect the electric flux leaving it, as long as the electric field strength remains constant. This is because the electric field strength is directly proportional to the surface area of the sphere. However, if the electric field strength varies with the size of the sphere, then the electric flux will also vary.

5. How is the direction of electric flux leaving a sphere determined?

The direction of electric flux leaving a sphere is determined by the direction of the electric field lines at the surface of the sphere. Electric flux always leaves the surface of the sphere perpendicular to the surface, in the direction of the electric field lines.