Electric Fields (Uniformly Charged Plates)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving two large, parallel metal plates with excess surface charge densities. The question asks for the electric field magnitude at different points. The proposed solution uses Gauss' law and the pillbox method, but there is confusion about why both areas of the cylinder are considered in parts a and b. The expert clarifies that a volume must enclose the charge for the method to work properly.
Ian Baughman

Homework Statement

In the figure two large, thin metal plates are parallel and close to each other. On their inner faces, the plates have excess surface charge densities of opposite signs and magnitude 7.76 × 10-22 C/m2. What is the magnitude of the electric field at points (a) to the left of the plates, (b) to the right of them, and (c) between them?
upload_2016-6-5_17-11-35-png.101718.png

Homework Equations

[/B]

Gauss' Law

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I understand how to solve this problem and I am getting the correct solution but I was hoping for some clarification When using the pillbox method for gauss' law you consider two areas, the top and bottom part of the cylinder that is penetrating the plane. In parts a and b we still consider both areas but why wouldn't we just consider the area to the left or area to the right? Hopefully this makes sense!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your image isn't visible; it may be behind a required login. Can you UPLOAD it instead?

Sorry about that! Here it is.
upload_2016-6-5_17-11-35.png

Ian Baughman said:
So I understand how to solve this problem and I am getting the correct solution but I was hoping for some clarification When using the pillbox method for gauss' law you consider two areas, the top and bottom part of the cylinder that is penetrating the plane. In parts a and b we still consider both areas but why wouldn't we just consider the area to the left or area to the right? Hopefully this makes sense!
You need a volume that encloses the charge. If you placed one face so that it is coincident with the charge, geometrically the charge would not be enclosed by the volume.

Related to Electric Fields (Uniformly Charged Plates)

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. This force is either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges involved. Electric fields are created by electric charges and can be visualized using electric field lines.

2. What are uniformly charged plates?

Uniformly charged plates are two large, flat surfaces with equal and opposite charges that are spread out evenly across the surface. These plates are often used in experiments to create a uniform electric field between them.

3. How is the strength of an electric field between uniformly charged plates determined?

The strength of an electric field between uniformly charged plates is determined by the charge on the plates and the distance between them. The stronger the charges and the closer the plates are, the stronger the electric field will be.

4. How does the direction of the electric field between uniformly charged plates change?

The electric field between uniformly charged plates always points from the positive plate to the negative plate. However, the direction of the electric field can be changed by reversing the charges on the plates or by changing the distance between them.

5. What are some real-world applications of uniform electric fields?

Uniform electric fields have a variety of applications in our daily lives. They are used in particle accelerators, cathode ray tubes, and television and computer screens. They are also used in air purifiers, electrostatic precipitators, and photocopy machines. In medical fields, uniform electric fields are used in electrocardiograms (ECGs) and electroencephalograms (EEGs).