Electric Fields in Equilateral Triangle

In summary, the question asked for the magnitude of the electric field at the midpoint of any side of an equilateral triangle with point charges of +2.0 µC on each corner. The solution involves cancelling out the electric fields from two of the point charges and using the equation E=KQ/R^2 to find the electric field from the remaining point charge. The value of R can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. One of the individuals in the conversation is uncertain about their calculations.
longcatislong

Homework Statement

A point charge q = +2.0 µC is placed at each corner of an equilateral triangle with sides 0.23 m in length.
What is the magnitude of the electric field at the midpoint of any of the three sides of the triangle?

3. I want to know if I did this correctly, or totally screwed it up

At point p, the midpoint between on a side, the electric fields will cancel from the two point charges directly opposite each other. The only electric field will be felt from the point charge that's on the tip of the triangle.

So, I did E=KQ/R^2. I found R=.23Sqrt2, by knowing I have a 30-60-90 triangle if a bisect it.

E=(9e9)(2e-6)/(.23Sqrt3)^2=113422 N/C

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get the same value for R, but it might just be me.

Related to Electric Fields in Equilateral Triangle

1. What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a geometric shape with three equal sides and three equal angles. It is a type of regular polygon.

2. How is an electric field created in an equilateral triangle?

An electric field is created in an equilateral triangle when there is a difference in electric potential between the three sides of the triangle. This can be achieved by placing charges at the corners of the triangle or by applying a voltage difference across the sides.

3. What is the direction of the electric field in an equilateral triangle?

The electric field in an equilateral triangle is always perpendicular to the sides of the triangle, pointing away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

4. How is the strength of the electric field determined in an equilateral triangle?

The strength of the electric field in an equilateral triangle is determined by the magnitude of the charges at the corners of the triangle and the distance between the charges.

5. How does the electric field vary within an equilateral triangle?

The electric field within an equilateral triangle is not constant and varies depending on the distance from the charges at the corners. It is strongest at the corners and weakest at the center of the triangle.