Electric Field's Force on a Suspended Plastic Ball

In summary: C## is the charge on the ball, not on the string.The tension force in the string is:a)9.8 Nb)0The angle between vertical axis and string is:a)0°b)90°
EsinDerin
Homework Statement
A small, 4.0-g plastic ball with charge Q=8uC,is suspended by a
cm-long string in a uniform electric field ⃗ E=9.8x10^2 in figure. If the ball is in equilibrium, Find
a) the tension force in the string
b) the angle between vertical axis and string.
Relevant Equations
E=k*q/r^2
k=1/4Eopi
Hi,I couldn't do this problem.I hope someone could help meths is my first time in this forum

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us how much you can do. You must have some idea how to solve this?

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
EsinDerin said:
Homework Statement:: A small, 4.0-g plastic ball with charge Q=8uC,is suspended by a
cm-long string in a uniform electric field ⃗ E=9.8x10^2 in figure. If the ball is in equilibrium, Find
a) the tension force in the string
b) the angle between vertical axis and string.
Relevant Equations:: E=k*q/r^2
k=1/4Eopi

Hi,I couldn't do this problem.I hope someone could help meths is my first time in this forum
In addition to showing your work, please try again to attach the diagram of the problem. How many cm long is the string?

This is the question

Attachments

• Ekran Resmi 2020-04-06 23.50.56.png
    Ekran Resmi 2020-04-06 23.50.56.png
    16 KB · Views: 155
Ah, that helps. Okay, please show us your free body diagram (FBD) for the plastic ball, and write the equation for the force of the electric field on a charged body (it is similar to the equation you wrote for the electric field from a charged particle above). Please show us your work. Thanks.

IMG_1907.jpg

I'm not sure about the solution.If there is any mistake,please show it.Thanks :)

EsinDerin said:
View attachment 260181
I'm not sure about the solution.If there is any mistake,please show it.Thanks :)
It all looked good until you came to the calculation. Why didn't you do:
$$\tan \theta = \frac{qE}{mg}$$
You made a mistake writing down the charge, which is ##0.8 \mu C##.

One minor point is that you shouldn't mix vectors like ##\vec{F_e}## and scalars like ##T_x## in the same equation.

Likes berkeman
Ok,are the answers are correct,I would be happy if you answer

EsinDerin said:
Ok,are the answers are correct,I would be happy if you answer
It's wrong because you used the wrong charge.

Related to Electric Field's Force on a Suspended Plastic Ball

What is an electric field?

An electric field is an invisible force that surrounds a charged particle and is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of other charged particles.

How does an electric field affect a suspended plastic ball?

An electric field exerts a force on a suspended plastic ball that is charged. The direction of the force depends on the charge of the ball and the direction of the electric field.

What factors affect the strength of the electric field's force on a suspended plastic ball?

The strength of the electric field's force on a suspended plastic ball is affected by the charge of the ball, the strength of the electric field, and the distance between the ball and the source of the electric field.

Can the electric field's force on a suspended plastic ball be calculated?

Yes, the electric field's force on a suspended plastic ball can be calculated using the formula F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the ball, and E is the strength of the electric field.

How can the direction of the electric field's force on a suspended plastic ball be determined?

The direction of the electric field's force on a suspended plastic ball can be determined by the direction of the electric field and the charge of the ball. If the electric field and the charge have the same direction, the force will be in the same direction. If they have opposite directions, the force will be in the opposite direction.