Electric Fields/ Electric Potential

In summary, the problem involves a pair of parallel metal plates with a vertical distance of 20mm and a potential difference of 1500V between them. The first part of the solution involves drawing electric field lines in the space between the plates and calculating the electric field strength at point P. The second part involves sketching a graph to show the potential at different points in the space between the plates using the equation E_{f}=\frac{V}{x}. A mistake is made in the calculation of the electric field, but it is later corrected. The solution is then summarized as a linear relationship between potential and distance.
Cilabitaon

Homework Statement

Figure 1 shows a pair of parallel metal plates, A and B, fixed vertically 20mm apart with a potential difference of 1500V between them.
(a)(i) Draw the electric field lines in the space between the plates and calculate the electric field strength at point P.
(a)(ii)Sketch a graph showing the potential at different points in space between the plates.

Homework Equations

[tex]E_{f}=\frac{V}{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is shown in the diagram by my (rather scruffy)red lines; they are drawn better on my actual diagram. :redface:

For the potential at P:

[tex]E_{P}=\frac{1500/2}{(20 \times 10^{-3})/2} = 7.5 \times 10^{4}Vm^{-1}[/tex]

For the last part I have a 100mmx60mm piece of graph paper with the labels 'potential' and 'distance' on the vertical and horizontal axes respectively.

Now, in my thinking all I can get from this is that the graph must start at 0, and the gradient must be [tex]E[/tex].

c.f. [tex]y = mx + c[/tex] and you get [tex]V = Ex (+ 0)[/tex].

I have my values for [tex]V[/tex] from (0>1500)V on my potential axis and my values for [tex]x[/tex] from (0>20.0)e-3m.

The problem with this is I can see everything that is going on, but I just cannot draw a graph of it; and it's really starting to annoy, so any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• EF4a-fig1.jpg
    EF4a-fig1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,105
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can draw the graph in the same way you draw any linear function. You know it is a straight line so you only need two points. However you made a mistake in calculating the electric field. You are using the potential difference of 1500V at the point P, but the potential difference between plate A and P is not 1500.

Cyosis said:
You can draw the graph in the same way you draw any linear function. You know it is a straight line so you only need two points. However you made a mistake in calculating the electric field. You are using the potential difference of 1500V at the point P, but the potential difference between plate A and P is not 1500.

Right, it's half way between the two plates in a uniform field so the potential drop is half...right?

So this would mean it's just [tex]E = \frac{1500/2}{(20 \times 10^{-3})/2} = 7.5 \times 10 ^{4}Vm^{-1}[/tex]

Yes that is correct. You know that the eletric field does not change between the plates so calculating the field at any point gives you the field for all points (within the capacitor).

It's quite worrying to me that I had such problems with a [tex]V \propto x[/tex] relationship :smile:

Related to Electric Fields/ Electric Potential

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds a charged particle or object. It is created by the presence of electric charges and can exert a force on other charged particles within its vicinity.

2. How is an electric field measured?

An electric field can be measured using a device called an electric field meter, which measures the strength and direction of the field at a specific point. The unit of measurement for electric field is volts per meter (V/m).

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. The electric potential at a point is directly proportional to the electric field strength at that point. In other words, the stronger the electric field, the higher the electric potential.

4. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field. On the other hand, electric potential energy is the energy a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential energy is a vector quantity.

5. What is the difference between a positive and a negative electric field?

A positive electric field is one in which the field lines point away from the positively charged object. This indicates that a positive charge placed in the field will experience a repulsive force. In contrast, a negative electric field has field lines pointing towards the negatively charged object, indicating an attractive force on a positive charge placed in the field.