Electric Fields and Coulomb's law

In summary, the conversation involves three questions related to electrostatic forces and electric fields. The first question asks for the x and y coordinates of an unknown charge in order to achieve a net electrostatic force of zero. The second question involves calculating the magnitude of the net electric field at a given point due to four fixed charges. The third question involves finding the magnitude and direction of the net electric field at a specific point caused by two charged particles at different positions. To solve these problems, Coulomb's law and vector addition are used.
datenshinoai
I'm completely stumped on three questions, please help...

1. Particle 1 of charge +1x10^-6C and particle 2 of charge -3.0x10^-6C are held at separation L=10.0cm on an x axis. If particle 3 of unknown charge q3 is to be located such that the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 are sero, what must be the x and y coordinates of particle 3?

I know I need to use Coulomb's law, but since I don't know the unknown charge, how do I begin?

2. For particles are fixed in place and have charges q1=q2 = +5e, q3 = +3e, and q4 = -12e. They are all at a distance d = 5.0x10^-6m. What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point P due to the particles?
q4
|
|
q3
|
|
q1------P------q2​

I found that q1=q2 = 5e/[(4piEnot)(d)] so total = 2xans.

q3 = +3e/[(4piEnot)(d)]

q4 = -12e/[(4piEnot)(d)]

Do I just add it to get the net electric field or am I just not understanding the problem?

3. To charged particles -q = -3.0x10^-19C at x = -3.00m and q = 3.0x10^-19C at x = 3.00m. What are the magnitude and direction (relative to the positive direction of the x-axis) of the net electric field produced at point P at y = 4.00m?

I found E to be 2[3.2x10^-19/(4piEnot(3.0)^2)]sin 90, but it's not giving me the answer... does it have anything to do with the 4.00m? If so, how do I incorporate it in?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

Physics news on Phys.org
datenshinoai said:
I'm completely stumped on three questions, please help...

1. Particle 1 of charge +1x10^-6C and particle 2 of charge -3.0x10^-6C are held at separation L=10.0cm on an x axis. If particle 3 of unknown charge q3 is to be located such that the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 are sero, what must be the x and y coordinates of particle 3?

I know I need to use Coulomb's law, but since I don't know the unknown charge, how do I begin?

2. For particles are fixed in place and have charges q1=q2 = +5e, q3 = +3e, and q4 = -12e. They are all at a distance d = 5.0x10^-6m. What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point P due to the particles?
q4
|
|
q3
|
|
q1------P------q2​

I found that q1=q2 = 5e/[(4piEnot)(d)] so total = 2xans.

q3 = +3e/[(4piEnot)(d)]

q4 = -12e/[(4piEnot)(d)]

Do I just add it to get the net electric field or am I just not understanding the problem?

3. To charged particles -q = -3.0x10^-19C at x = -3.00m and q = 3.0x10^-19C at x = 3.00m. What are the magnitude and direction (relative to the positive direction of the x-axis) of the net electric field produced at point P at y = 4.00m?

I found E to be 2[3.2x10^-19/(4piEnot(3.0)^2)]sin 90, but it's not giving me the answer... does it have anything to do with the 4.00m? If so, how do I incorporate it in?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

1) Just assume an arbitrary charge q. Do your Coulomb's law and you will find that the q drops out in the end. In order to do the vector addition though, you will need to know if the charge is positive or negative. This, too, should not matter in the end, so just assume that q is positive or negative. If you aren't convinced that it doesn't matter, do the problem both ways and see for yourself.

2) What does "q1=q2 = 5e/[(4piEnot)(d)]" mean? q1 and q2 are charges, right? I think that you are trying to write an expression for the electric field here... The electric field is [tex]E=q/(4\pi \epsilon_0 r^2)[/tex]. This is a vector, so you need to add them vectorally for each charge.

3) Again, this is a vector addition problem. Break E from each charge into componets and add the x componets together, etc.

-Dan

Related to Electric Fields and Coulomb's law

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which a charged particle experiences a force. It is created by a charged object and can exert a force on other charged objects within its vicinity.

How is an electric field represented?

An electric field is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the field. The direction of the field is from positive to negative charges, and the density of the lines represents the strength of the field.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the SI unit for electric field strength?

The SI unit for electric field strength is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). This is equivalent to volts per meter (V/m).

How does distance affect electric field strength?

The electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charges. This means that as the distance between two charges increases, the electric field strength decreases. Conversely, if the distance decreases, the electric field strength increases.