Electric Field Strength on Cube Faces

In summary, the problem involves determining the strength and direction of electric fields on the faces of a cube. The cube does not contain any charges. The strength of the fields on the faces F, A, B, D, and E are 13 N/C, 26 N/C, 22 N/C, and 21 N/C respectively. The direction of the fields is either inward or outward at right angles. To determine the direction, look at the picture and consider arrows pointing outward as positive and inward as negative. The direction of the field is perpendicular to each face.
yjk91

Homework Statement

lectric fields of varying magnitudes are directed either inward or outward at right angles on the faces of a cube, as shown in the figure.

What is the strength and direction of the field on the face F? (The cube does not contain any charges. Take EA = 13 N/C, EB = 26N/C, ED = 22 N/C, and EE = 21 N/C.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to do this problem any hints? i you add up the flux but it doesn't have a direction in which the electric field is going so i am confused.

Attachments

• cube.PNG
    cube.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
yjk91 said:
i you add up the flux but it doesn't have a direction in which the electric field is going so i am confused.

Look at the picture to determine the sign of the flux. for arrows pointing outward take the flux to be positive, and inward to be negative. the direction is perpendicular to each face.

arg i didn't look at the 10 which was C
thanks !

Related to Electric Field Strength on Cube Faces

1. What is the definition of electric field strength?

Electric field strength, also known as electric field intensity, is a measure of the force per unit charge exerted on a charged particle in an electric field. It is a vector quantity and is expressed in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

2. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by two main factors: the magnitude of the charge creating the field and the distance from the charge. The closer the charged object is to the field, the stronger the electric field will be. Additionally, the strength of the field decreases as the distance from the charge increases.

3. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field can be measured using a tool called an electric field meter or by calculating the field strength using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force exerted on the charged particle, and q is the charge of the particle.

4. What are some common applications of electric field strength?

Electric field strength is used in a variety of applications, including capacitors, particle accelerators, and electric motors. It is also an important concept in understanding lightning strikes and the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.

5. How does the strength of an electric field impact the movement of charged particles?

The strength of an electric field determines the force exerted on a charged particle, which in turn affects the movement of the particle. The stronger the electric field, the greater the force and the faster the particle will move. Additionally, the direction of the electric field will determine the direction of the force on the charged particle.