Electric field strength of a wire comparison

In summary, electric field strength is a measure of the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge or by dividing the potential difference by the distance between two points. Comparing the electric field strength of wires is important for understanding the behavior of electric fields in different materials and configurations. This can be done by measuring the potential difference and distance between two points on the wire. Factors such as the material, nearby conductors or insulators, and applied voltage can affect the electric field strength of a wire. The shape and size of the wire also play a role.
pickleparty
1. Homework Statement

The electric field strength 7.79 cm from a very long charged wire is 2660 N/C. What is the electric field strength (in N/C) 12.7 cm from the wire?

2. Homework Equations

E= (9*10^9) Q/ r^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

i have energy. so is tried to solve backwards for the first one for Q. Then i plugged in the new Q with relation to 0.127 m. I got 1001 N/C which is wrong. Am I even using the right formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know Gauss's Law?

ya is that what i needed to use?

Related to Electric field strength of a wire comparison

What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. It can also be calculated by dividing the potential difference (voltage) by the distance between two points. The formula for electric field strength is E = F/q or E = V/d.

Why is comparing electric field strength of wires important?

Comparing the electric field strength of wires is important because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of electric fields in different materials and configurations. This information can be used to design and optimize electrical systems and devices.

How do you compare electric field strength of wires?

Electric field strength of wires can be compared by measuring the potential difference (voltage) and distance between two points on the wire and using the formula E = V/d. The wire with a higher electric field strength will have a greater potential difference for the same distance compared to a wire with a lower electric field strength.

What factors can affect the electric field strength of a wire?

The electric field strength of a wire can be affected by several factors, including the material of the wire, the presence of other nearby conductors or insulators, and the voltage applied to the wire. The shape and size of the wire can also play a role in determining the electric field strength.